Records in British Columbia are tumbling after the BC Long Course Provincial Championships and the Provincial Short Course Championships.
The BC Long Course Senior Championships were held this past weekend in Vancouver where Tanya Hunks broke the senior provincial record in the 400m IM clocking 4:45.59.
Other highlights from the BC Long Course Senior Championships:
- Scott Dickens (UBCD) – 100m Br finals went 1:02.40;
- Kelly Stefanyshyn (UBCD) – 200m Back finals went 2:14.90;
- Matt Rose (IS) – 50m Free finals went :23.03;
- Brian Johns (UBCD) – 200m IM went 2:03.22;
- Brittany Reimer (UBCD) – 200m Free finals went 2:02.31;
- Brenna MacLean (WVOSC – 15 years old) 200m Fly went 2:14.62; 100m Fly went 1:02.86;
- Annamay Pierse (UBCD) – 200m Br finals went 2:27.79;
The BC Provincial Short Course Championships were held the previous weekend, February 28 – March 2nd where six provincial records were broken by BC swimmers.
- 13-14 Women’s 4 x 200 FR set by Island Swimming: Vanessa Loewen, Hilary Wille, Sydney Smilowski, Naomi Ellis in 8:39.21;
- 2. 13-14 Women’s 4 x 50 MR set by UBCD: Caitlin Quon, Micaela Kwiatkowski, Morgan MacKenzie, Laura Sze in 2:01.88;
- 15-17 Women’s 4 x 200 FR set by CHENA: Talia Benson, Julianne Brown, Sadie Mattson, Taryne Landry in 8:21.28;
- 13-14 Mens 4 x 200 FR set by Island Swimming: Tanner Milne, Ken Naito, Brook Powell, Keegan Zanatta in 8:21.94;
- 15-17 Mens 4 x 200 FR set by Island Swimming: Grayson Repp, Craig Dagnall, Tanner Milne, Jeremy Bagshaw in 7:45.83;
- 15-17 Womens 4 x 50 FR set by CHENA: Sadie Mattson, Talia Benson, Taryne Landry, Amanda Payne in 1:46.24.
Other Highlights from the BC Short Course Provincial Championships held February 28 – March 2nd.
- The UBC Dolphins were the Provincial Team Champions, winning both the men’s and women’s banners, with a total combined team score of 3968. Coming in second was Island Swimming with 3467 points and in third was Simon Fraser Aquatics with 2329 points.
- 13-year old Mariya Chekanovych (SFA) posted the fasted 100m Breast time for all girls age groups with 1:13.45 on Sunday evening finals.
- Eva Nagy (UBCD), daughter of Jozsef Nagy, won the 11 & Under 100m Breast final with a time of 1:20.68. Eva is 10 years old, and her time is the fastest 10 & Under 100m Breast short course time swam in Canada.
Since the start of the 2007-2008 season, BC swimmers have broken 33 Provincial records and 11 National records.