Corey St Laurent

Victoria, BC – The University of Victoria Hockey Club captured a pair of victories over the Selkirk College Saints last weekend to leapfrog the inactive Eastern Washington University for fourth place in the BC Intercollegiate Hockey League standings.

Saturday night’s matchup saw Selkirk jump out to an early lead just 1:24 into the game. Some nervous moments followed but after a Matt Bell marker at the 8:32 mark, UVic took control of the game and never looked back. On the back of three-point efforts from sophomore Dustin Taylor and rookie Brett Orser, UVic cruised to an 8-3 victory in front of more than 150 fans packed into Ian Stewart Complex Arena.

The two teams met for the back half of the series on Sunday afternoon with Jason Margolus getting the nod in net for UVic and Selkirk countering with Todd Hoodicoff. It would be a tightly contested, choppy start to the game in which UVic couldn’t capitalize on multiple scoring opportunities. For the second straight night, Selkirk would open the scoring, this time at the halfway point of the first period. Dennis Pavlina would even things up for UVic just five minutes later before Selkirk potted their second of the frame on a power play. Less than one minute after Selkirk’s second goal, Tyson Viehweger would find a rebound and bang it home as UVic answered once again. After one period of play, UVic 2 Selkirk 2.

The second period began with an UVic power play and rookie Eli Wiebe wasted no time, scoring his fourth of the year at the 1:17 mark. Despite heavy pressure throughout the period, UVic couldn’t capitalize on their chances while Selkirk seized their opportunities. The Saints would record a pair of goals before the period was out to take a lead into the intermission. After two, UVic 3 Selkirk 4.

Whatever was said in the dressing room during the intermission paid dividends as UVic came out in the final period in top form. Matt Bell buried a power play goal at the 8:01 mark as Selkirk couldn’t fend off the UVic attack any longer. Bell’s game-tying goal seemed to ignite the offence and at 10:12, Dustin Taylor would wire a slap shot past the Saints’ goaltender to finally give UVic the lead. Selkirk looked as if they would level the score yet again but Matt Bell provided a clutch shorthanded goal after a great effort that seemed to break the collective backs of the Selkirk side. Phil Barter would add another late goal to round out the scoring and give UVic all four points on the weekend. Final score, UVic 7 Selkirk 4.

Matt Bell, after returning from a concussion last month, had a tremendous five point effort on Sunday afternoon while Brent Sutherland contributed with four assists. Next up for UVic will be a trip to Kelowna to visit the Okanagan College Coyotes on January 13th and 14th. With a pair of weekend victories, UVic now holds a record of 5-7-2.