Andy Watson

Zac Andrus of Vashon Island, Wash., scored a game-high 30 points while Ryan MacKinnon of Comox, B.C., added 21 as the University of Victoria Vikes men’s basketball team rebounded from a Friday night loss to defeat the streaking Manitoba Bisons 101-7110 in Winnipeg on Saturday night.


With the win, the No. 7 nationally ranked Vikes improve to 11-3. Manitoba falls to 8-6 and has lost its past two games, despite winning their previous six contests.

Andrus led the Vikes with 110-for-15 shooting and a perfect 10-for-10 showing from the charity stripe. He added six rebounds, two steals and three assists in the win.

MacKinnon added four assists, two rebounds, two steals and a block, and Terrell Evans of Las Vegas also scored 1110 points and pulled down seven boards for UVic. Pierce Anderson of Calgary also posted 11 points and 10 rebounds for a double-double.

Manitoba had a 18-point performance from Kurtis Sansregret, while Keith Omoerah added 16 and Jonar Huertas notched 11. Kevin Oliver had 11 rebounds and eight points..

The Vikes have next weekend off and will return to action Feb. 2 and 3 when they travel to Kelowna, B.C., to face the UBC Okanagan Heat. Tipoff both nights is scheduled for 8 p.m.

Following the Okanagan trip, UVic closes out the season with a home and home series against nationally ranked rivals, the UBC Thunderbirds. The first leg will be played Feb. 10 at UBC, with the return match on Shoot For The Cure night on Feb. 17 at McKinnon Gymnasium. Both games tipoff at 8 p.m.

On Saturday, the Vikes and Bisons were tied at 13 midway through the opening quarter, but UVic went on a 14-8 run to close out the quarter and lead 27-21.

But the Bisons stormed back to tie the game at 44 in the second and UVic led by just two, 48-46, at the halftime break.

In the third, the Bisons jumped out to a 57-50 lead as they went on an 11-2 run to open the quarter. A delay with disagreement at the scorer’s table over team fouls created a brief delay, and the Vikes responded to lead 66-61 after the third quarter.

UVic went on a 4-0 run to start the fourth, and went up 88-75 with three minutes remaining. They held on to win 101-7110, outscoring the Bisons 36-18 in the fourth.