Graham Kendrick

The Portland Winterhawks (35-15-2-1) got a hat trick from Sven Bartschi Monday in a 5-4 win over the Vancouver Giants (31-20-1-2) at Veterans Memorial Coliseum.

Bartschi accomplished the hat trick in the second period with goals in three different ways: even strength, on a power play and while shorthanded. It was his first hat trick of the season, and sixth by a Hawks player this season. Bartschi added an assist to finish with four points on the night.

The game was scoreless for most of the first period, until Vancouver’s Tyler Vanscourt scored with 13.8 seconds remaining to give the Giants a 1-0 lead they’d take into the second.

The Hawks evened the game 2:02 into the second period when defenseman Troy Rutkowski scored his 10th goal of the season to tie the game at 1-1, setting up Bartschi’s fireworks.

He opened with a highlight reel goal at the 7:15 mark, winning an individual battle with a Giants defenseman, turning him inside out to gain position before beating Vancouver netminder Adam Morrison to give the Hawks a 2-1 lead.

Bartschi struck again at the 11:54 mark, taking a pass from Marcel Noebels and getting behind the Giants defense to score a power play goal that put the Hawks up 3-1. Vancouver got one back at the 17:16 mark when Marek Tvrdon scored to cut Portland’s lead to 3-2, but Bartschi answered back with the Hawks shorthanded with under a minute to go in the period, picking up a loose puck in the neutral zone and streaking in on a breakaway, beating Morrison to put the Hawks up 4-2 going into the third.

Vancouver got within one nine seconds into the third with a five-on-three goal from Tvrdon, his second of the game, to make it 4-3. The Hawks went back up by two at the 7:52 mark, when Bartschi, from behind Vancouver’s net, found Cam Reid streaking in, and hit him with a pass Reid fired past Morrison as Portland took a 5-3 lead.

The Giants got back within one when Cain Franson scored at the 14:49 mark to cut Portland’s lead to 5-4, but that would be as close as the Giants would get, as the Hawks closed out the game for the victory.

Mac Carruth picked up his league-leading 32nd goal of the season, stopping 35 of 39 shots. Morrison finished with 37 saves on 42 shots.

The Hawks are back in action Friday when they travel to Kennewick, WA to take on the division-leading Tri-City Americans.