trinity western_spartans1

LANGLEY, British Columbia (ISN) –
For the second time in as many games, the Trinity Western women’s soccer team played to a 0-0 draw as neither the Spartans nor the visiting UBC Thunderbirds could find the back of the net Friday evening at Rogers Park.

After playing their way to a 0-0 tie with Fraser Valley on Tuesday, the Spartans dressed a largely substitute squad against a rather veteran bunch from UBC and managed to keep up with a tough Thunderbirds side and snag and deserved draw.

Trinity Western is now 0-0-2 against university competition this spring.

In what was a classically spring contest, neither team looked entirely in form and in the end a scoreless match was a fair result for a game that largely was void of scoring opportunities.

“It was a scrappy. We struggled early on and I thought UBC had a bit more of the energy and a bit more of the composure,” said Spartans coach Graham Roxburgh. “But we knew that would happen. We had a lot of young players playing and it’s different when they have fifth years on the park who are a little bit more accomplished and have been at this level before. I’m quite pleased how some of our young kids actually did quite well against a very mature team.”

The Thunderbirds were the stronger team in the early stages as they possessed well and were the aggressors in the opening few minutes. But unfortunately for the visitors, they were unable to earn much in the way of clean scoring chances and, while UBC sent a number of seeking crosses into the box, Trinity Western goalie Kristen Funk was always in good position to snuff out any potential opportunity.

The Spartans best chance of the first half came off the foot of Tessa Meyer, as she volleyed a Sarah-Kim Bergeron cross into the box right on target, but UBC goalie Alyssa Williamson was perfectly positioned to make the save.

Trinity Western entered the second half with a bit more jump in its step but, much like UBC in the early portion of the first half, was unable to generate quality chances.

Midway through the second half, UBC reverted to its early-game form as it put the pressure on as it earned three corner kicks in a span of 10 minutes, but ultimately were left wanting.

The Spartans best crack at goal came in the 77th minute when Jenna Di Nunzio ripped a shot from 25 yards out but Thunderbirds goalie Emily Wilson, who entered the game at the start of the second half, was sure-handed on the save.

In the 82nd minute, UBC had the nearest opportunity of the night when the Thunderbirds Lisa Furutani found her way to a bouncing ball in the Spartans 18-yard box and pulled the trigger from 10 yards out but her attempt was blocked by a wall of defenders and cleared by the Spartans.

That would be the closest thing to a goal on this evening.

Trinity Western’s Jessica King was the lone player on the pitch to be booked as she received a yellow card in the 75th minute.

Funk played the entire 90 minutes for Trinity Western in goal while Williamson and Wilson each played 45 minutes for UBC.

Both teams will now prepare for the Keg Spring Cup in Victoria Mar. 24-25. The Spartans will play Alberta in the first semifinal at 10:00 a.m. while UBC will play Victoria in the afternoon semifinal at 2:00 p.m. The winners will play for the championship Sunday at 2:00 p.m. while the losers will play for third place at 10:00 a.m. Sunday