By Ali Lee, UVic Communications

Victoria (ISN) – The UVic Vikes women’s soccer team settled for silver at the 2012 Keg Cup after losing to Trinity Western 1-0, while the men were defeated by UBC by the same score in the bronze medal game.

In the women’s final, the Trinity Western Spartans defeated the UVic Vikes women’s soccer team 1-0 thanks to a Colleen Webber free kick. The Vikes closely matched the Spartans in opportunities with Trinity Western edging the Vikes in shots 11-9 during the game.

Off the kickoff, UVic’s attempt to move the ball around eventually turned them backwards, forcing a fifty-fifty pass back to goalkeeper Stephanie Parker (Chemainus, BC). Spartans forward Jessica King rushed the pass, beating Parker to the ball but her attempt rolled just wide of the net. Re-gaining their shape, the Vikes turned to midfield-forward Lindsay Hoetzel (Victoria, BC) for the first shot in Spartans territory, in the 7th minute, but her shot soared high. Trinity Western’s Tessa Meyer got her head on a cross from King a few minutes later but that attempt just slipped over the bar.

In the 26th minute of play, Meyer made an excellent through pass for King, sending her on a break away but UVic keeper Parker, with good timing, slid out to steal the ball cleanly from King’s feet. Parker was called to action a number of time following saving three great strikes from veteran Melissa Mobilio and another close chance from Vanessa Kovacs. In the 37th minute, Webber had her opportunity off a free kick that hit underneath the cross bar, bounced down and in to give the Spartans the 1-0 lead. At the half, Trinity Western tallied eight shots, with Parker getting a piece on six of those.

The Vikes opened the second half with a good opportunity for rookie Shannon Elder (Victoria, BC). Elder’s finish off a Tessa Margetts (Victoria, BC) cross was shot high of the goal. Elder was fed again, in the 85th minute, when Hoetzel connected for a good service across but Elder’s shot went wide. The Vikes were unsuccessful at securing a goal and the 1-0 lead would stand to give the Spartans a first place at the 2012 Keg Spring Cup.

In the third-place match up between rivals UBC and the UVic Vikes men’s soccer team, it was the T-Birds that came out on top thanks to an early goal by Paul Clerc. Canada West rookie of the year Cam Hundal (Surrey, BC) was the Vikes’ stand out player of the match causing consistent havoc for the UBC defensive line.

In the 13th minute, Clerc secured the 1-0 lead and final score when he tapped in a direct free kick past Vikes keeper Michael Branion-Calles (Richmond, BC). Both teams limited play to the midfield keeping the shots on goal at half time 7-6 in UBC favour.

Following the break, the Vikes had thought they netted the tie-up goal. The ball appeared to cross the goal line but was cleared very quickly and the referee allowed play to resume. Two follow-up shots immediately after were blocked and well-saved. Throughout the second half the Vikes and T-Birds went shot-for-shot with possession not favouring either team heavily.

Similarly to the Vikes’ opportunity, UBC has an excellent chance, in the 71st minute, when Brandon Ho’s attempt was cleared on the line by UVic defender Toshi Hayashi (Victoria, BC). The resulting corner kick was unsuccessful as Branion-Calles was there to clean up. Play continued in both ends as Andrew Ravenhill (Victoria, BC) did well to block a long-range shot from UBC’s Cameron Davis and UBC net-minder Jack Whelan made a great save on Wesley Barrett (Richmond, BC)s shot from similar range.

The Vikes had one final burst in the 89th minute of play when Hundal worked his quick feet up the field to serve a perfect ball in from of the net where two Vikes players were waiting. Neither player was able to get a touch on the ball and UBC’s clear would keep the Vikes off the board to leave the score 1-0 for the T-Birds. The Birds finished the tournament claiming third place.