trinity western_spartans1

LANGLEY, British Columbia – The Trinity Western men’s soccer team completed its 2012 spring season by playing to a 0-0 draw with Seattle Pacific Saturday afternoon at Rogers Park.

While neither keeper was particularly busy on this afternoon, it was the Spartans Evan Lowther who had to come up with by far the biggest stop of the contest when he made a diving save in the 90th minute on a point blank attempt from in tight on Seattle Pacific’s Sean Russell.

Russell, who was the Falcons most dangerous player all afternoon, took a pass from right wing and was in alone inside the box just seconds before the final whistle but Lowther preserved the tie for Trinity Western with one of his best saves of the spring. Other than Russell’s opportunity, it was a game generally void of high-quality scoring chances and one that was fit for a draw.

With the tie, the Spartans finish the spring season with a 1-2-2 record.

“I thought we started off well but we tailed off a bit at the end,” said Spartans coach Pat Rohla, “Fortunately Evan Lowther made a great save at the end of the game to keep it 0-0. I think both teams had some chances but not a lot. We had a couple of good chances that we could have buried in the first half. I’m not displeased with the way we played. I think it was like many of our games this spring season in that we played okay but we just didn’t finish our chances.”

Trinity Western started the game well and pushed the pace for the better part of the first half hour but ultimately were unrewarded.

The Spartans Jordan Whitehead had the first solid opportunity off a free kick from 25 yards out but a quality shot on target was stopped by Falcons keeper Zach Johnson.

In the 29th minute, the Falcons had their best chance of the half when Russell broke into the box off the right wing and looked poised for a shot but, before he could let loose, Lowther charged forward and, diving at Russell’s feet, snatched the ball away before the Falcons midfielder could get a shot off.

Trinity Western’s Jason Wiens had a crack from inside 10 yards in the 43rd minute but his shot was blocked before it could make it to goal and the teams went into the break scoreless.

The second half saw much of the same as neither team managed to generate much offence.

The best opportunity for either team in the second half – that is until Russell’s last second attempt – also came from Russell when, in the 69th minute, his shot from just outside 18 yards sailed over the crossbar.