Victoria (ISN) – If you think you have what it takes to be an Olympic Athlete, then the Canadian Sport Centre Pacific (CSCP) wants you to come out and prove it at their 2012 Podium Search talent identification camp at PISE on May 27th.
Canadian Sport Centre Pacific is hosting a one-day talent identification camp, testing your capacity for sport performance at its highest level. Each athlete will receive basic physiological and anthropomorphic test results to show whether you measure up to National Team standards. Athletes may have the opportunity to be selected for CSC Pacific’s Talent Development Programs designed to propel athletes from their developmental stages to the Olympic podium.
To find out how you stack up, you must be:
- Ages 15-22
- Competing in ANY sport at a minimum of club / regional level
- Fit, powerful and strong
- Mentally tough, competitive and highly motivated
- Ready to accept the challenge of becoming part of Canada’s sporting elite
On top of being tested by world-class sport performance experts, hear from our inspirational keynote speaker Olympic Silver Medallist Rower, Barney Williams.
This opportunity is completely free, and all athletes will receive test results within 10 business days of the camp.
PODIUM SEARCH 2012: Talent ID Camp
Sunday, May 27, 2012 | 1:30pm – 4:30pm
CSC Pacific Victoria Campus / Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence
Canadian Sport Centre Pacific
WHAT TO BRING
Appropriate attire for athletic testing including running and jumping
Completed Consent & Par-Q forms
*Please arrive warm and ready to go!
This pilot program will put athletes aged 15-22 through basic anthropomorphic and physiological testing from our IGNITE Athlete Development Program™, and will apply Rowing Aviron Canada’s (RCA) Row to Podium talent ID protocol to athletes meeting their minimum height standards. The pilot phase of this program is not yet equipped to test para-sport athletes, however, we plan to add appropriate testing protocols to future camp dates.
- · To provide participant athletes (and their coaches) with basic testing results.
- · To deliver semi-annual Talent Identification Camps in all three CSC Pacific campuses (Victoria, Vancouver and Whistler) throughout the year, providing an opportunity for all CSC Pacific registered athletes to complete the testing protocols.
The Opportunity for the BC Sport System:
- · Build baseline testing data for athletes within the system at a low cost
- · Share this data with the sport system to benefit LSO, PSO and NSO programs
- · Identify athletes with the capacity to switch to another sport, particularly late specialization sports. PSOs and NSOs representing sports with late specialization skills (similar to rowing) can use the data collected at Talent Identification Camps to their benefit*
* Currently RCA is one of a limited number of NSOs with talent ID testing protocols and a set of prescribed baseline markers, however CSC Pacific is keen to support the talent ID / transfer needs of other sports should governing bodies have a set of baseline markers and testing protocols that can be easily implemented in our open house format.
The Target Audience:
- · Athletes ages 15-22
- · Competing in ANY sport at a minimum of club / regional level
- · Fit, powerful and strong
- · Mentally tough, competitive and highly motivated
- · Ready to accept the challenge of becoming part of British Columbia’s and Canada’s sporting elite
Testing Protocols to be used in the first PODIUM SEARCH: Talent Identification Camp:
- · Anthropometry (Height, Weight, and Wingspan)
- · Vertical Jump
- · 10/30m sprint
- · Hand dynamometer (grip)
- · Reverse Ball Throw
- · Schwinn Arm Leg Bike Step Test