VictoriaShamrocks Logo_SENIOR

Story and Photographs by Glenn Ivens (

The Victoria Shamrocks took to the floor against the Burnaby Lakers at Bear Mountain Arena on Friday night, less than 24 hours after suffering their first loss of the season 14-12 in overtime to the New Westminster Salomonbellies.

Despite looking sluggish, the ‘Rocks controlled the majority of play in the first period and opened the scoring 4:52 in to the period when Ryan Benesch found the back of the net behind Lakers goaltender Joe Bell. Burnaby’s Shaun Dhaliwal would beat Victoria goaltender Matt Flindell less than 2 minutes later to knot the game at 1-1.


Victoria’s Kyle Noble moves the ball during WLA action at Bear Mountain Arena on Friday night. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

The Shamrocks would get back in front when Curtis Morwick took a pass from Jeff Shattler and deposited the ball behind Bell at 9:14. Burnaby would get a goal late in the period by Matt Quinton to head into the break tied 2-2.


Shamrock’s Ryan Benesch lead all scorers with 4 goals and 2 assists on Friday night. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

The Shamrocks started the 2nd period with a power play marker by Benesch at 3:11, and then went up by a pair after Mike Pires bulged the twine. The ‘Rocks then fell into a lull as they gave up 3 goals in less than a minute to Burnaby’s Matt Beers, Mike Brascia and Dhaliwal to trail 5-4.


Jeff Shattler of the Victoria Shamrocks eludes the check of Burnaby Laker’s Peter McFetridge during Friday nights WLA game at Bear Mountain Arena. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

Shattler would pull Victoria even at 15:13 only to have Burnaby pull ahead with another late period goal from Quinton to put the Lakers up 6-5 heading into the 2nd intermission.

The Lakers continued to roll in the 3rd period, getting goals by Jackson Decker and Colton Clark to open up a 3 goal lead. The ‘Rocks replaced Flindell with Josh Phillips, and took advantage of the short break to regroup. Phillips was between the pipes for a mere 6 seconds as he and Flindell changed on the fly after the face off.  


Victoria’s Michael Teeter unleashes a shot during Friday nights WLA game against the Burnaby Lakers. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

The break was just what the Shamrocks needed. Pires notched a power play marker at 6:10 then Shattler pulled them to within a goal at 6:59. Benesch tallied his 3rd goal of the night to send the game to overtime.


The Shamrock’s Matt Flindell would be pulled after Colton Clarke scored Burnaby’s 8th goal of the game. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

Benesch record his 4th goal and 6th point 3 minutes in to the overtime frame to stake a ‘Rocks lead. Burnaby would tie the game then take the lead off a pair of goals from Scott Jones. Victoria pressed but was unable to beat Bell, losing for the 2nd time in overtime.

The Shamrocks are back in action next Friday when they host the Salmonbellies at Bear Mountain.  

Please visit my ISN Gallery to view more images from the this game.