victoria shamrocks_JUNIOR

By Janice Huckin

Victoria (ISN) – The sixth place Jr. Shamrocks took on the first place Coquitlam Adanacs Saturday at Bear Mountain and matched up pretty well, eventually falling 12-10 in a hard-played game.

Cody Hagedorn was back in goal for the Rocks after missing a couple of games to injury while Michael Pecchia suited up between the pipes for the Adanacs. Some great loose ball pursuit paid off with Victoria scoring the first goal of the game at 8:19, that goal coming from Jesse King with his team playing shorthanded. The Adanacs rebounded to score on the power play at 9:32, Matthew Dinsdale getting in close and burying it. The lead was restored at 10:48 when Shamrocks captain Jake Emms, put an over-the-shoulder shot behind Pecchia. Just seconds after a Coquitlam penalty kill, the visitors tied things up once again, Wesley Berg going top shelf at 13:29. That was how the period ended, with the score knotted at 2 and the Adanacs holding a 13-8 advantage in shots on goal.

Coquitlam started to put some distance between them with the first 3 goals of period 2. Jeff Cornwall scored at 2:59, crashing the net and the goaltender. At 7:52, Ben McIntosh connected from the crease and at 8:35 it was Reid Reinholt taking advantage of a sleeping defense to get in alone and make it 5-2. Off the ensuing faceoff, Jamie Sorensen got one back for the home team on a 2-on-1 break at 8:42. McIntosh replied with his second of the game at 10:16, again going unmolested in front of the net and at 13:31, Robert Church gave the Adanacs a 7-3 lead on a shot that seemed to go under Hagedorn’s arm. That goal was the first of 5 goals in just over 5 minutes but the other 4 belonged to the Shamrocks as they battled back. Devon Casey got a shot away that Pecchia had – and then he didn’t – at 14:36. Just over 2 minutes later, Casey picked up his second on the power play with one of his patented hard shots from the slot. Conrad Chapman then gathered up a loose ball with the teams playing 4 aside and scampered down the floor to score unassisted at 17:20. Brody Eastwood got things back even at 18:37, grabbing a loose ball right in front and putting it over the goalie. Shots on goal were even in the middle frame at 16 each and the score was tied at 7.

The Adanacs struck early in the final period, McIntosh getting his hat-trick marker at 2:02, a shot that Hagedorn got a piece of but couldn’t quite corral. The Rocks struck back with a bit of a weird goal at 5:13. It was an unassisted shorthanded tally by Kurtis Green who picked up the loose ball when it was misplayed by the Coquitlam goalie at the end of the 30-second shot clock. He walked in and put the ball into the empty net. Some discussion took place when the goal was originally waved off by one official but eventually it went up on the scoreboard. We were even at 8. Unfortunately the Rocks didn’t get out of that shorthanded situation unscathed as Vincent Ricci finished off a tic-tac-toe passing play with a power play goal at 5:40. The visitors jumped into a 2-goal lead at 10:02, Reinhold picking up his second of the game from right in front. It took only 15 seconds for King to notch his second and get the Shamrocks back within a goal. Berg picked up his second of the game for the Adanacs at 12:46 but a power play goal by Victoria’s Eastwood, also his second of the contest, going over the shoulder at 17:43 got things close again. The Shamrocks pressed but were unable to get any closer and surrendered a second goal to Ricci at the 19:56 mark.

There was certainly a better balance between offense and defense than fans saw last weekend and losing by 2 to the defending league champions is nothing to feel too badly about. The Shamrocks got 2 goals each from Jesse King, Brody Eastwood and Devon Casey. Singles came from Conrad Chapman, Kurtis Green, Jake Emms and Jamie Sorensen, Chapman also chipping in 2 assists. Dane Schoor also picked up a pair of assists as did Chris Wardle who was probably one of the best players at both ends of the floor. Cody Hagedorn was outstanding in goal, especially in the third period when he faced 20 shots, kicking out 37 of the 49 he faced in the game.

For the visitors it was BenMcIntosh with the hat trick, Wesley Berg, Reid Reinholt and Vincent Ricci each with a pair and chipping in 3, 4 and 2 assists respectively. Robert Church and Matthew Dinsdale each had a goal and 4 helpers while Jeff Cornwall had the other Coquitlam goal.

The Shamrocks are on the road Sunday to face the Langley Thunder and travel to Nanaimo Wednesday to take on the Timbermen at Frank Crane Arena. That game is at 7:00 for those fans wishing to follow the team on the road.

They return to Bear Mountain Arena next Saturday, June 30 for their final regular season home game. Game time is 5:00 pm, the visitors will be the Burnaby Lakers and it will be Fan Appreciation Night.