victoria shamrocks_JUNIOR

By Janice Huckin

Victoria (ISN) – After waiting 18 days between home games, Intermediate Shamrocks fans witnessed another blowout, this time a 23-10 victory against the visiting Burnaby Lakers Saturday at Bear Mountain Arena.

The Lakers put only 14 runners on the floor, making it a long night for the visitors. They started Cody Gilliam in goal while Tanner Hodgson got the start for the Shamrocks. Just 13 seconds into the opening period, Rocks’ leading scorer Jake Cullen gave his team a lead they would never relinquish, getting in close to score on the first shot of the game. It was a rough start for Gilliam as Curtis Gailey scored for the home team on the second shot of the game at 1:01 on a hard shot from just outside the dotted line. Just 27 seconds later an unassisted tally from Matt Baxter had the score at 3-0. By the 14:18 mark of the period Victoria was up 8-0 and the Lakers replaced Gilliam between the pipes with Jeremy Lashar. He allowed a couple more goals before the period ended with the Shamrocks up 10-0 and firing approximately 35 shots at the beleaguered Burnaby netminders. Hodgson faced only 8 shots by comparison.

The second period was more of the same as the Rocks rattled off 6 more goals by the 9:56 mark. They decided at that point to give Kiefer Hagedorn some work in goal so he replaced Hodgson. At 10:10, the Lakers finally got on the board, Tyler Kirkby scoring one of what would be four on the night. They added a shorthander at the 12:24 mark before Victoria replied with 3 more, including a pair from Nate Wade, his third and fourth of the game. The Lakers closed the scoring at 18:30 on a breakaway, Anthony Quatrano finding the back of the net. After 40 minutes the home squad led 19-3 and were outshooting the competition by something like 63-20.

Shamrocks’ captain Max Fredrickson opened the scoring 4:05 into the final frame – it was his fourth of the game and came after a successful 4-minute penalty kill. Give the Lakers credit, they did not resort overly much to the chippy stuff that often occurs in such a runaway but instead rattled off the next 4 goals, 3 of them from Kirkby and the other from Cameron Hudspeth. It was pretty much a matter of Victoria trying not to run up the score but instead working on some defensive work and ragging. They connected for 3 more markers while Burnaby also added 3 more to their total. Admittedly, the Shamrocks took it easy but the Lakers did outscore them 7-4 over the last 20 minutes.

Not a very exciting game for the fans in attendance but an important two points for the Intermediate Shamrocks as they try to get to the top of the league standings with a pair of road games left in their regular season. As mentioned there was a lot of offense and unofficially this is how things broke down for the Shamrocks: Nate Wade, Curtis Gailey and Max Fredrickson each scored 4 goals while adding 1, 2 and 4 assists respectively. Jake Cullen chipped in the hat trick and 4 helpers while Matt Hamilton, Dane Sorensen and Graham Winship each scored twice. Hamilton and Winship added 2 assists while Sorensen had 5. Singles came from Jamie Jensen and Matt Baxter while Wyatt Oickle and Cole Pickup each contributed 5 helpers.

For the Lakers it was Tyler Kirkby with 4 goals and 1 assist, Anthony Quatrano with 2 of each and Justin Appels with a goal and 3 helpers.

The Intermediate Shamrocks are on the mainland Sunday to take on the New Westminster Salmonbellies at Queen’s Park Arena. They finish the regular season next Sunday, July 15 against these same Burnaby Lakers also on the road. Playoffs will follow, likely commencing the weekend of July 21-22.