Saskatoon, SK (ISN) – A shutout in the third quarter powered the visiting University of Guelph Gryphons past the University of Saskatchewan Huskies 26-21 Friday night in a non-conference football game at Griffiths Stadium in Potash Corp Park.

Guelph quarterback Matthew Carney led the Gryphons down the field on a six play, 27-yard drive to the end zone at 13:12 in the third quarter. The visitors added a two-point convert on the drive and managed tokeep the Huskies off the scoreboard in the quarter. The touchdown provided the final lead change of the game.

The Gryphons continued to play strong in the second half winning the battle on the ground. The Huskies managed just 30 rushing yards in the second half, while Guelph’s tailbacks Corey Davidson and Marc Rutledge combined for 111 yards in the game.

“We learned some lessons tonight,” said Huskie head coach Brian Towriss. “Guelph has a good team and were well prepared. We have to be more prepared and we will be a better team next week. We got out hit and wepaid the toll physically.”

The loss was costly for the Huskies. Starting tailback Dexter Janke and safety Bryce McCall left the game in the first quarter. Towriss was optimistic about both players return.

Saskatchewan opened the scoring in the game with a Cole Samson 45-yard field goal at 6:05. The Gryphons answered back on the next drive with Robert Farquharson finding the end zone at 9:26 on a one-yard run.

The two teams traded touchdowns in the second frame. Drew Burko connected with Kit Hillis on a 63-yard touchdown at the end of the quarter, while Lucas Nangle found A’dre Fraser on a 23-yard play at 7:01. The Huskies added a rouge in the second to lead 15-14 at halftime.

Guelph added a rouge and a field goal in the fourth, while Samson hit another field goal, this time from 28-yards out, and Chase Bradshaw added a touchdown in the dying seconds of the game for Saskatchewan.

Three different quarterbacks played at pivot for the Huskies including rookies Drew Burko and Matthew Bonaca, as well as CJFL transfer Chase Bradshaw. The three combined to complete 24-of-43 passes for 348 yards. Guelph also played three at pivot with Nangle playing the majority of the game completing 10-of-14 passes for 142 yards.

Hillis had a strong performance pulling in eight catches for 117 yards and one touchdown, while Garrett Burgess added another three snags for 66 yards for the Huskies. Guelph spread the ball around the receiving corps with nine different players making a catch in the game. Carl Trivieri led the way with 77 yards on three catches.

Jake Reinhart led the way on defence for the Gryphons recording five tackles and one sack, while Jacques Geyer led the way for the Huskies with 7.5 tackles.

Guelph opens the OUA season September 3 against the reigning Vanier Cup champion McMaster University Marauders.

Saskatchewan opens the Canada West season against the University of Alberta Golden Bears next Friday at Griffiths Stadium in PotashCorp Park. Kickoff is 7 p.m. For tickets, call 306-966-1111 or visit