uvic logo web

By Ali Lee, Vikes Communications

VICTORIA, B.C. – The University of Victoria Vikes men’s soccer team refreshed their line up with nine different starters from the day before in the second game of the UNBC double header hosted on Sept. 8 at Centennial Stadium. The Vikes blanked the UNBC Timberwolves 8-0 to end their opening weekend earning six points.

Early goals from third-year Langara College transfer Cameron Stokes (Richmond, B.C.) opened the gates for the Vikes, who hemmed the Timberwolves in their end for the majority of the game. Thomas Mallette, Adam Plantinga, Kurt Macaulay, Craig Taylor, Nicholas Mavrikos and Sam Prette added a goal each.

UNBC Timberwolves keeper Mitch McFarlane was kept busy in the box, as the Vikes out-shot the Timberwolves 25-5. McFarlane made five saves throughout the game.

“Six first year Vikes scored today and that is a great introduction to our team,” said Vikes head coach Bruce Wilson about the big change in line-up from last day. “I believe that if everything is relatively equal, which it is, I can’t see why we wouldn’t use that to our advantage at home – changing the team on the second day.”

Three minutes into the game fourth-year Mallette received a well-fed pass from Andrew Ravenhill (Victoria, B.C.) and launched a cross in to the box for Stokes to side foot into the net past McFarlane. Ravenhill set up the second goal when his left-footed corner kick was served perfectly for Stokes to volley in at the 28th minute.

The Vikes poured on the offensive pressure with the Timberwolves generating few chances. Rookie Vikes keeper Stephen Welle (Victoria, B.C.) was more than up to the task to handle the one first-half shot from UNBC by Sourosh Amani. In the other end, rookie McFarlane was the busiest man on the pitch, as he was forced to handle 13 shots in the first period, seven of which were on net.

In the 39th minute, Mallette was brought down in the box and finished on his penalty kick opportunity to lift the Vikes 3-0. Only two minutes later, Mallette served a perfectly paced ball over the Timberwolves back line to third-year Platinga who did well to get in behind and knock the ball past McFarlane. Platinga’s goal left the Vikes with a four-goal lead entering the break.

The Vikes continued to roll fresh legs on the pitch after the break and found benefit from it when first-year Prette charged down the right side and crossed the ball to the diving feet of Macaulay, who pushed the Vikes’ lead to 5-0.

The Timberwolves had their best chance in the 65th minute when striker Daniel Dell burst through the right side of the 18-yard box for a close range shot. The six-foot-five rookie keeper Welle met the challenge to keep his slate clean.

In the 81st minute, a fast passing play led by Gavin Barrett (Richmond, B.C.) led to Taylor being found wide open in front of the net to get his third goal of the weekend. Two minutes following, Mavrikos followed up with the seventh goal on a rebound after Colantonio rang one off the left post.

Prette closed out the game in the 88th minute with the team’s eighth goal after he tapped in a Cam Hundal (Terrace, B.C. ) cross from the left side. Fresh legs proved to be the difference as the Vikes end their second Canada West game of the season with an 8-0 win over the UNBC Timberwolves.

“Next weekend is UBC and Trinity and they are very strong but we are at full strength,” said Wilson. “We have no injuries. We have 24 players to pick from and we will do our best.”

The Vikes bank six points and move to 2-0 in their opening weekend as they move on to face their mainland rivals the UBC Thunderbirds and Trinity Western Spartans on Sept. 14-15. Those games will be broadcast live at http://uvic.canadawest.tv