September 24, 2012, Victoria, BC – Canadian Sport Centre Pacific, the Pacific Institute for Sport Excellence, the City of Victoria, and the District of Saanich will be hosting a celebration on Wednesday at Centennial Square in downtown Victoria in honour of Canada’s London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic athletes.
Centennial Square will be a hub of activity at lunchtime on Wednesday, September 26. The public and school-aged youth will gather to celebrate Greater Victoria’s Olympic and Paralympic heroes and will have the opportunity to try a number of different sports, get autographs from the athletes and coaches in attendance, enjoy live music, and be part of an official welcome home ceremony.
Athletes, coaches and special guests will be available for one-on-one interviews before and after the ceremony, and all in attendance will take part in a large-group photo opportunity at the conclusion of the official ceremony.
The following athletes and dignitaries will be in attendance:
- Ryan Cochrane, 2012 Olympic silver medallist and 2008 Olympic bronze medallist (swimming, men’s 1500m freestyle)
- Stacie Louttit, 2012 Paralympian and 2008 Paralympic bronze medallist (sailing, two-person mixed SKUD class)
- Dean Fortin, Mayor, City of Victoria
- Frank Leonard, Mayor, District of Saanich
- Andrew Byrnes, 2012 Olympic silver medallist and 2008 Olympic gold medallist (rowing, men’s eight)
- Gillian Carleton, 2012 Olympic bronze medallist (cycling, team pursuit)
- Brent McMahon, 2012 Olympian and 2004 Olympian (triathlon)
- Meghan Montgomery, 2012 Paralympian and 2008 Paralympian (rowing, adaptive coxed four)
- Brianna Nelson, 2012 Paralympic two-time silver medallist and 2008 Paralympian (swimming, women’s 50m fly and 200 IM)
- Patricia Obee, 2012 Olympian (rowing, women’s lightweight double sculls)
- Peter Lawless, coach of 2012 Paralympian Michelle Stilwell (athletics)
- Tommy McLeod, coach of 2012 Olympian Riley McCormick (diving)
- Gord Veldman, coach of 2012 Paralympians Brianna Nelson and Jana Murphy (swimming)
Wednesday, September 26, 2012
12:30-1pm Sport activities for youth and public
1-1:20pm Public ceremony
1:20-2pm Sport activities and athlete autograph sessions for youth and public
Centennial Square, next to Victoria City Hall Victoria, BC