vikes watv logo

 By Natalie Wise, Vikes Communications / photos by Glenn Ivens, ISN

September 29, 2012, Victoria, B.C. – The University of Victoria Vikes men’s rugby team won the first leg of the Wightman’s Boot series at Wallace Field with a 54 – 28 victory over the University of British Columbia Thunderbirds. The date of the second game of the two-game series is yet to be determined.

 In the opening minutes of the game a yellow card for Thunderbirds’ number 11 gave the Vikes a man advantage and shortly thereafter, the UVic men crossed the tryline with Patrick Kay (Duncan, B.C.) successfully kicking for the two points.

The UVic Vikes knocked the wind out of the UBC Thunderbirds sails taking game 1 of the Wightman’s Boot series 54-28 on Saturday at UVic’s Wallace Field. (photo by Glenn Ivens)
The referee evened the on-field roster when a yellow card was given to forward Zack Myers and UBC made good on the penalty kick, closing the points margin to within one of the Vikes.
After several scrums deep in the Vikes’ offensive end they added five more points to the board with another conversion by Kay.  After several more minutes of Vikes’ possession second rower Shea Wakefield (Victoria, BC) posted another try but it was unconverted.

Shea Wakefield dives across the line for the UVic Vikes. The Vikes hold 26 point advantage in the Wightman’s Boot series with the UBC Thunderbirds. (photo by Glenn Ivens) 

Another penalty kick for the T-Birds saw the Vancouver side earn three more points and just a few short minutes later UBC snagged a loose ball and went 70-m for a try between the posts. Adding the conversion, UBC was still within striking distance with a score of 19 – 16.
In the second half the Vikes were able to pull away from the visiting T-Birds but the UBC men did not go down without a fight as they scored two good tries in the remaining minutes of the game. With an end result of 54 – 28 the UVic men have a 26-point lead going into the next Boot game.

There were plenty of hard hits to go along with some great rugby during the Wightman’s Boot series opening game at UVic’s Wallace Field. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

“I was happy with the result,” said flyhalf Tony LaCarte (Surrey, BC). “It’s always a spirited match against UBC and it’s nice that we have a cushion going into game two. I still felt that we left a few points on the field but overall a good result.”
Up next for the University of Victoria Vikes men’s rugby team is a match-up against James Bay next Friday night, Oct. 5, at 6:00 p.m. in Centennial Stadium.