October 6, 2012, Victoria, BC – Brodie Smith would collect two goals in a losing effort as the South Island Royals dropped a 6-5 decision to the Valley West Hawks Saturday.

On a Saturday afternoon matchup, the South Island Royals welcomed the Valley West Hawks for the first game of a two game set. The Royals gave Markus Daly the call in goal, while the Hawks countered with Cole Forbes.

South Island opened the scoring five minutes into the game off a tally from Cole Pickup. The Royals’ forward collected a loose puck in the neutral zone and broke in off the right side before he fired a shot between the legs of the Valley West netminder for the 1-0 lead. The Hawks looked to respond around the 10 minute mark when Eric Callegari cut out of the left corner and tried to deke around Daly, but the South Island keeper followed the puck to make the save. Minutes later, the Royals looked to double their lead after Nick Guiney broke in all alone on Forbes, but the forward found his wrist shot ring off the left post and into the corner. South Island took a 1-0 lead into the second period.

The Royals increased their lead 11 seconds into the second period when Brodie Smith jumped on a loose puck in the crease and wired a shot short side under the blocker of Forbes. The Hawks would respond just over a minute later on a man advantage after Jakob Stukel collected his own rebound in the crease and put it past the outstretched leg of Daly. South Island would reply late in the period with two powerplay goals just over a minute apart to push their lead to three. First, Brandon Tutte corralled the puck along the left half-boards before he stepped out and put a shot under the blocker of a screened Forbes. Smith would then grab his second marker of the period after he one-timed a Sean Buchanan pass from the left point past the Valley West netminder. The Hawks would pull to within two with 20 seconds left in the frame off a powerplay marker from Josh Pollock as the Royals held a 4-2 lead after 40 minutes.

Valley West would make it a 4-3 game less than five minutes into the final period when Stukel took a pass in the slot and made a nice deke around Daly in the Royals’ crease. Spencer Unger would then tie the game up just before the 10 minute mark after he pounced on a turnover in the offensive zone and quickly fired the puck past an out-of-position Daly. The Hawks would then grab their first lead just over a minute later when Rhett Wilcox deflected a Cole Bevan point shot past the South Island keeper. After the goal Jesse Jenks would replace Daly in the South Island net. With four minutes remaining in the game, Royals’ forward Nick Guiney would pull the game square after completing a nice tic-tac-toe play with Pickup on a 2-on-1 break. However, with just over two minutes before the final whistle, Valley West would grab the winning marker after Matt Bradley found a loose puck in the slot and fired a shot over the glove of Jenks. Valley West 6 South Island 5

South Island will finish up their two game set with Valley West tomorrow, Sunday, October 7th at 10:00 a.m. at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. The team will then embark on their first road trip of the season when they travel over to the mainland for a two game series with the Greater Vancouver Canadians. The Royals next home game will come on Saturday, October 20 when the team welcome island rival the North Island Silvertips to the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Game time is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.