October 7, 2012, Victoria, BC – The Fraser Valley Hawks earned their second victory in as many days over the South Island Royals with a 5-2 win Sunday at Save-On-foods Memorial Arena in Victoria.

On a Sunday morning matchup at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, the South Island Royals welcomed the Valley West Hawks for the second game of a weekend doubleheader. The Royals called on Jesse Jenks between the pipes, while the Hawks went with Luke Stripp.

The game opened with Valley West controlling the majority of the play as they looked to net the game’s first marker. At the six minute mark of the period, Hawks’ forward Matthew Cox found himself alone in front of the Royals’ net as he tried to deke around Jenks, but the South Island keeper was able to slide across and make the stick save. Valley West would find their first goal only minutes later after Rhett Wilcox collected a rebound in the crease and deposited it past the outstretched leg of Jenks for the 1-0 lead. The Hawks would carry their one goal lead into the second period.

The Royals opened the period on the man advantage, but it was Valley West with the best opportunity short-handed. Forward Josh Pollock pick-pocketed a Royals’ defender in the neutral zone and broke in alone on Jenks. Pollock looked to go glove side, but Jenks picked the puck out of the air for the nice glove stop. The Hawks would grab their second less than a minute later after Quinn Lenihan took the puck in the high slot and fired a shot past the South Island goaltender. Valley West would increase their lead to four with two goals less than a minute apart near the end of the frame. The first came on a powerplay after Pollock took a quick shot from the right face-off dot that beat Jenks between the legs. Dairen Craighead would grab the other goal after he came down the left side and beat a Royals’ defender before making a nice deke around the left pad of Jenks. The Hawks held a 4-0 lead after 40 minutes.

South Island would nab their first goal of the contest four minutes into the final period. Forward Haydn Hopkins put a puck on net from the slot that was stopped by Stripp, but the rebound fell to Nick Guiney to the right of the net who quickly tapped it in. Valley West would restore their four goal lead minutes before the halfway mark of the frame on Craighead’s second of the night after he took a puck in front of goal and beat the left pad of Jenks. Hopkins would notch the second goal for the Royals with less than five minutes remaining while playing four-on-four. The South Island forward broke in alone on Stripp and made a quick deke to the left side and threw it up over the glove of the Hawks’ goalie to round out the scoring. Valley West 5 South Island 2

The Royals will now embark on their first road trip of the season when they travel over to the mainland for a two game series with the Greater Vancouver Canadians next weekend. South Island’s next home game will come on Saturday, October 20th when the team welcome island rival the North Island Silvertips to the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre. Game time is scheduled for 4:30 p.m.