selkirk college_saints

Photographs by Glenn Ivens

October 9, 2012, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The UVic Vikes men’s hockey team was swept over the weekend by the Selkirk College Saints, losing 4-3 Friday and 5-4 in OT Saturday, to open the 2012-2013 BCIHL season.

In friday’s action, Selkirk forward Beau Taylor put the visitors on the board, netting his team’s first goal of the season with 4:57 remaining in the first period. And the scoring picked up from there, with Mitchell Bell pulling the Vikes even 58 seconds later and Saints captain Jordan Wood restoring the Selkirk lead before intermission.

2012-10-06 BCIHL UVic Vikes-015

Selkirk College’s Thomas Hardy looks for a rebound as UVic’s Sunny Gill closes trapper on puck. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

The teams went on to exchange second period goals, as freshman centre Thomas Hardy put the Saints up two off a fine individual effort before UVic captain Matthew Bell pulled the hosts back within one moments later.

Selkirk controlled much of the third period as they maintained a one-goal lead, but the Vikes found themselves back on even terms after forward Brad Robinson poked home a rebound with 12:29 in regulation.

It was the Saints, however, who would ultimately find the winner, which came off the stick of winger Cody Fidgett when he blasted a shot over the glove of Victoria netminder Sunny Gill.

2012-10-06 BCIHL UVic Vikes-026

Sunny Gill of the UVic Vikes gets bowled over in the crease by a hard charging Selkirk College Saint. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

The hosts pushed hard in the closing minutes of the third and picked up a late power-play opportunity, but couldn’t find the tying goal as Saints starter Alex Sirard stood tall in net.

On Saturday, the Saints used three power-play goals and an offensive burst from the blueline to sweep their weekend series against a hard-working and determined Vikes squad.

Logan Proulx and Dylan Smith struck in the first period to help establish a 2-1 lead for the visitors, and a tremendous individual effort by winger Cody Fidgett in the second extended the Saints lead to two. But penalty trouble slowed down Selkirk for much of the middle frame and into the third, and the Vikes capitalized off the sticks of Matt Bell and Evan Warner.

2012-10-06 BCIHL UVic Vikes-029

Selkirk College’s Cody Fidgett is unable to get his stick on a loose puck in front of UVic goaltender Sunny Gill. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

 A third period man-advantage marker from team captain Jordan Wood seemed to put the Saints ahead for good, but Victoria forward Dennis Pavlina earned the hosts a point and sent the game to overtime when he snuck a rebound past Selkirk netminder Stephen Wolff with under three minutes in regulation.

The Saints found the winner just 33 seconds in the extra frame, however, as defenceman Lucas Hildebrand sent a point shot through traffic and through Vikes goaltender Sunny Gill to end the game and send his teammates streaming off the bench to celebrate.