Nov. 5, 2012, OTTAWA (CIS) – The schedule and opening-round matchups were announced Monday morning for the 43rd CIS men’s soccer championship in Quebec City.
The eight-team, single-elimination tournament gets underway Thursday at TELUS-Université Laval Stadium and culminates on Sunday with the gold-medal final at 2 p.m. All 11 games from the competition will be webcast live on CIS-SIC.tv.
New champions will be crowned on Sunday as the Victoria Vikes, who captured the Sam Davidson Memorial Trophy on home turf a year ago, were eliminated in the first round of the Canada West conference playoffs.
The teams hoping to claim the 2012 CIS banner are the tourney host Laval Rouge et Or (RSEQ finalists), as well as the UQTR Patriotes (RSEQ champions), Cape Breton Capers (AUS champs), UNB Varsity Reds (AUS finalists), McMaster Marauders (OUA champs), Carleton Ravens (OUA finalists), UBC Thunderbirds (Canada West champs) and Alberta Golden Bears (Canada West finalists).
Thursday’s quarter-finals include Cape Breton vs. Carleton at 11 a.m., UQTR vs. Alberta at 1:30 p.m., UBC vs. UNB at 4 p.m., and McMaster vs. Laval at 6:30 p.m.
UBC has won a record 11 national titles over the years but hasn’t hoisted the Davidson Trophy since 2007. Alberta (4), Laval (1) and UNB (1) have also triumphed in the past.
The CIS individual awards and all-Canadians will be announced on Wednesday night.
NOTE: A complete championship preview will follow on Tuesday.
Official championship website: http://english.cis-sic.ca/championships/msoc/index
- Cape Breton Capers (AUS champions: 6-3-4 regular season / 3-0 playoffs)
- UQTR Patriotes (RSEQ champions: 7-2-3 regular season / 2-0 playoffs)
- McMaster Marauders (OUA champions: 12-1-3 regular season / 3-0 playoffs)
- UBC Thunderbirds (CWUAA champions: 11-0-3 regular season / 2-0 playoffs)
- UNB Varsity Reds (AUS finalists: 9-3-1 regular season / 1-1 playoffs)
- Laval Rouge et Or (RSEQ finalists: 9-0-3 regular season / 1-1 playoffs)
- Carleton Ravens (OUA finalists: 10-2-2 regular season / 2-1 playoffs)
- Alberta Golden Bears (CWUAA finalists: 9-2-4 regular season / 1-1 playoffs)
Wednesday, Nov. 7
18:30 All-Canadian Awards Banquet (Loews Le Concorde Hotel)
Thursday, Nov. 8
- 11:00 Quarter-final 1: Cape Breton vs. Carleton (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
- 13:30 Quarter-final 2: UQTR vs. Alberta (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
- 16:00 Quarter-final 3: UBC vs. UNB (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
- 18:30 Quarter-final 4: McMaster vs. Laval (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
Friday, Nov. 9
- 11:00 Consolation 1: Loser QF 1 vs. Loser QF 2 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
- 13:30 Consolation 2: Loser QF 3 vs. Loser QF 4 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
- 16:00 Semifinal 1: Winner QF 1 vs. Winner QF 2 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
- 18:30 Semifinal 2: Winner QF 3 vs. Winner QF 4 (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
Saturday, Nov. 10
11:00 5th-place game (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
Sunday, Nov. 11
11:30 Bronze medal (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
14:00 Championship final (CIS-SIC.tv webcast)
About Canadian Interuniversity Sport
Canadian Interuniversity Sport is the national governing body of university sport in Canada. Every year, 11,000 student-athletes and 700 coaches from 54 universities and four regional associations vie for 21 national championships in 12 different sports. CIS also provides high performance international opportunities for Canadian student-athletes at Winter and Summer Universiades, as well as numerous world university championships. For further information, visit www.cis-sic.ca or follow us on: