Photographs by Glenn Ivens – ISN

November 8, 2012, VICTORIA (CIS) – The reigning two-time national champion Queen’s Gaels prevailed 2-0 over the Dalhousie Tigers in the second quarter-final match up of the CIS women’s soccer championship at Victoria’s Centennial Stadium, Thursday afternoon, to advance to the semifinal round for the fourth consecutive year.

The Gaels, who received goals from Alexic McKinty and Riley Filion, will face OUA rival Ottawa in Friday’s first semifinal at 4:30 p.m. Pacific Time. Prior to claiming back-to-back CIS titles in 2010 and 2011, Queen’s was also of the Final Four three years ago but settled for fourth place.

“It was great to get a win against a very good team,” said Dave MacDowel, head coach for the Gaels. “We took some time to adjust to the grass and the bigger surface but we scored a couple nice goals and were unlucky not to get more in the second half.”


Queen’s Gaels Jackie Tessier attempts to flick ball over Dalhousie goal keeper Taryn McKenna during CIS Women’s Soccer Championship Semi-final action at UVic’s Centennial Stadium. (photo by Glenn Ivens)

Dalhousie was the first to generate scoring opportunities in the early minutes of the games, despite both teams struggling to settle in defensively. Third-year midfielder Lauren Landry forced two quality saves out of Queen’s keeper Madison Tyrell.

Fourth-year midfielder McKlinty put the Gaels up 1-0 in the 18th minute with some superb individual efforts. McKlinty weaved her way through the Dalhousie back row and finished off her shot low past keeper Taryn McKenna to give the Gaels the go-ahead goal.

 MG 0546

Brittany Almeida of Queen’s moves ball while under pressure from Dalhousie’s Stephanie Crewe at the CIS Women’s Soccer Championship on Thursday. (photo by Glenn ivens

The Gaels settled in to control the majority of the first half possession and were unfortunate not to push their lead further, as striker Jennifer Siu put up several dangerous services from the right side. The OUA bronze medallists held their 1-0 lead entering half time.

In the second half, Filion found herself on a fast break in an effort to put the Gaels up by two but solid recovery from Dalhousie defender Samantha MacDonald kept the Gaels’ lead at one. Moments later, McKenna was called upon to make a point-blank save on all-Canadian Jackie Tessier, who was the real spark to the Gaels’ threatening offensive second half.

 MG 0612

Riley Filion of Queen’s University and Dalhousie’s Daphne Wallace take to the air in battle for loose ball during Semi-final action at the CIS Women’s Soccer Championships being hosted at UVic’s Centennial Stadium. (photo by Glenn Ivens

Filion netted the insurance marker in the 79th minute when she tapped in a cross made by Siu from the right side of the pitch. Filion was wide open at the far post for the tap in.

The Tigers’ best chance came in the 84th minute when a long-range shot third-year Daphne Wallace rang a shot off the cross bar.

Rookie keeper Tyrell picked up the shut for the defending champions.

“It was a tough game against a team that knocked the ball around really well today,” said Jack Hutchinson, head coach of the Tigers. “We didn’t put away our early opportunities and today we just weren’t the better team.”

 MG 0692

Dalhousie’s Doriana Homerski has a hair raising time at CIS Women’s Soccer Championship at UVic’s Centennial Stadium on Thursday. (photo by Glenn Ivens )

The AUS champion Tigers are relegated to the consolation round, where they will meet conference rival Cape Breton Friday at 11 a.m. Dalhousie was also eliminated in the first round a year ago.

NOTE: Friday’s consolation semifinals will be re-located from Field 2 to Centennial Stadium. All semifinal games will be on Centennial Stadium.