sherbrooke vert_et_or

November 9, 2012, VICTORIA (CIS) – The Sherbrooke Vert & Or claimed their first-ever victory at the CIS women’s soccer championship on Friday afternoon when they blanked the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks 1-0 in the second consolation semifinal of the national tournament held at the University of Victoria’s Centennial Stadium.

The RSEQ champions, who lost 2-1 to host Victoria in Thursday’s opening round, will put an end to their season Saturday at 2:30 p.m. PST when they battle Dalhousie in the fifth-place match. In their only two previous appearances at the CIS tourney, in 1993 and 1987, the Vert & Or had compiled an 0-3 overall record.

For the OUA finalist Hawks, their season ends with back-to-back losses at nationals.

Anne Gauthier-Dussureault, a rookie midfielder from Sherbrooke, scored the game’s lone goal five minutes into the second half to lift the Quebec champs to the historic victory.

“We had a very good first half but we still missed a lot of opportunities too, including hitting the cross bar three times,” said Sherbrooke head coach Guy Smith. “Andréanne Gagné played a great game for us today. She is in her last year and you could tell she gave everything she had.”

Gagné, a four-time all-Canadian midfielder, was without question the most dangerous player on the pitch. The senior had four opportunities from distance in the opening half, hitting the cross bar in both the 14th and 21st minute, firing one just wide in the 16th minute and putting a free kick from 25 yards out just over the bar in the 23rd minute.

The Golden Hawks had their moment to go up a goal in the 26th minute when Julie Maheu served a quality ball from the left on to the head of Suzanne Boroumand. Boroumand’s header was on target but was saved by Sherbrooke keeper Elena Waldispuehl.

Just before the halftime break, Laurier’s Emily Brown connected her head on a cross from Krista Celluci but the ball went over the bar to keep the game scoreless. Sherbrooke edged the Hawks in first-half possession and opportunity but was only able to put two of nine attempts on net.

Gauthier-Dussureault finally broke the dead lock in the 50th minute when she connected on a Sabrina Hémond cross that came from the left. Gauthier-Dussureault volleyed the ball past Laurier keeper Ward for the game-winner.

The Hawks had their best opportunity of the second period in the 61st minute when Cellucci sent a ball along the ground for Shelby Fallis. Fallis made good contact and put the shot on target, forcing Waldispuehl to react quickly to deflect the ball over the bar.

The Hawks shifted the momentum, maintaining quality possession for a large part of the second half. Brown looked for the equalizer on a Kelsey Tikka corner kick in the 81st minute but her header went wide of the net.

“I didn’t think we competed very well today,” said Laurier head coach Barry MacLean. “I thought for the first 50 minutes, until we got scored on, there weren’t enough players that played with the intensity and character they needed to.”