selkirk college_saints

November 10, 2012, LANGLEY, British Columbia (ISN) – With a 4-2 third period lead, the Trinity Western men’s hockey team looked primed for its first win of the year but, in the end, it was not to be as the unbeaten Selkirk Saints rallied to tie the game late and win it in overtime by a 5-4 count Friday at the Langley Events Centre.

With the Spartans up 4-3, Selkirk’s Jordan Wood scored with 6:44 left in the third period to tie the game 4-4. In the final three minutes of the game, the Spartans had a lengthy 5-on-3 power play opportunity but were unable to convert and thus overtime was needed. In the extra frame, Wood got his second of the night as his shot from the slot beat Spartans goalie Harry Fredeman (Ladner, B.C.), who was out of position after being tripped up. The winning goal proved controversial as the Spartans, and Fredeman in particular, were adamant there should have been a goaltender interference call on the play.

The win improves the Saints record to 9-0 while the loss drops TWU to 0-7-0-1, but does see the Spartans earn their first point of the season.

Trinity Western got two goals from Jamey Kreller (Winfield, B.C.), while Jake Harcoff (Surrey, B.C.) and Jamie Russell (Surrey) each potted singles. Kreller finished the night with two goals and an assist while Russell had a goal and an assist.

For Selkirk, it was Logan Proulx and Wood both finishing with two goals and two assists while Brodie Gibbon had one goal and Kam Crawford added two assists.

Selkirk goalie Chris Hurry, who was pulled after the Spartans fourth goal just 1:30 into the third period, made 16 saves on 20 shots while Alex Sirard stopped all six shots he faced to earn the win.

The Spartans Fredeman stopped 43 of the 48 shots he faced in the loss.

“Our boys played hard and you hate to lose those ones on a play that we believe should have been a penalty,” said Spartans coach Dwayne Lowdermilk. “There were some mental mistakes and a few goals we’d love to take back and some penalties we’d love to take back. But we proved we can play with the top team in our league. We just have to come back tomorrow and show that we can duplicate the same effort that we had tonight.”

After a scoreless first period, TWU got on the board just 1:10 into the second period on a tally by Harcoff.

The Spartans doubled their lead less than seven minutes later when Kreller got his first of the evening.

Selkirk’s Gibbon responded with a goal at the 10:22 mark of the second to cut the Spartans lead in half.

With 3:09 left in the middle frame, Russell reestablished the Spartans two-goal lead when he banged in a loose puck in front to give TWU a 3-1 lead. But, just over a minute later, Selkirk’s Proulx scored to once again get the Saints to within one and go into the third period down 3-2.

The Spartans, seemingly not to be deterred, again opened a two-goal bulge early in the third when Kreller scored to give TWU a 4-2 edge.

However, after the Saints made a goalie change, the tables turned.

Selkirk’s Proulx scored at the 3:48 mark of the period to make it a 4-3 contest and that set the stage for Wood’s heroics. The Saints leading goal-scorer, now with 12 on the season, tied it up in the third and scored the winner in overtime.

The Spartans and Saints will meet in a rematch Saturday at 1 p.m. at the Langley Events Centre.

Game Notes: Selkirk outshot TWU 48-26…TWU was 1 for 6 on the power play while Selkirk was 2 for 6…TWU had 32 penalty minutes while Selkirk had 22.