trinity western_spartans1

November 12, 2012, PRINCE GEORGE (ISN), British Columbia – The Trinity Western University men’s basketball team used a record breaking fourth quarter to rally from a 19 point deficit to defeat the University of Northern British Columbia 103-100 in overtime Saturday night in Prince George, B.C. The win moves the Spartans to 1-3 on the season, while the loss drops the Timberwolves to 2-2.

The Spartans outscored the Timberwolves 36 to 23 in the fourth quarter to help secure the first win of the season. The 36 points, breaks the team’s previous fourth quarter high of 34, which was set in a 116-79 victory over Lethbridge on Jan. 6, 2012. In that game the Spartans also scored a record 40 points in the first quarter. Today’s game was also the first game that TWU and their opponent have each broken 100 points, since TWU lost 130-128 to the University of British Columbia in double overtime on October 27, 2006.

“The character that we showed today to come back will help the guys to believe as we move forward,” commented TWU head coach Scott Allen. “Our defensive pressure in the fourth quarter and our ability to put the ball inside and hit our three point shots really helped us tonight.”

Six players on the Trinity Western roster scored double digits tonight totaling 100 of the 103 points the Spartans put up. Leading the way were Mark Perrin (Toronto) and Kurtis Osborne (Tsawwassen, B.C.) with 19 points each, while forward Denny McDonald (Mississauga, Ont.) added 18 points.

Sam Raphael (Prince George, B.C.), Francis Rowe (Victoria) and Jose Araujo (Toronto) all posted over 20 points apiece for the Timberwolves.

The Spartans started strong against the Timberwolves, taking the lead early on. Justin Bakuteka (Toronto) led the Spartans in the first half with 10 points as they led 39-33 going into the second half.

The third quarter is where the Timberwolves turned it on. The home side outscored the Spartans 31-12 giving them a 13 point lead to enter the fourth quarter.

With just over eight minutes remaining the Timberwolves led by 71-53, but the Spartans chipped away at the lead bit by bit. Coming down to the wire both teams traded the lead right until the end. With 23 seconds to play UNBC’s Jose Araujo hit a three to tie it up at 85 apiece, only to have Spartans’ Tristan Smith (Los Angeles) to come down the floor and hit a tough jumper in the lane, putting Trinity Western up two with only two seconds to left. There was time for one play and the Timberwolves executed perfectly. A text book back cut from Charles Barton (Vernon, B.C.) left him open for an alley-oop inbounds pass form Sam Raphael (Prince George, B.C.), sending the game into overtime.

For five minutes the two teams battled it out, exchanging points as the time ticked away. A foul by Francis Rowe (Victoria) sent Trinity Western’s Perrin to the line, giving the Spartans a three point lead with 20.2 seconds to go.  The Timberwolves Araujo made one more three point attempt to tie the game at the buzzer, but his shot rimmed out to give TWU the victory.

Trinity Western will travel to Victoria next weekend for a double-header against the University of Victoria Vikes on November 16 and 17, while the Timberwolves will host the UBC Okanagan Heat.

Game Notes: Perrin went four for four from the foul line in the final 35 seconds of overtime… TWU finished the night shooting 47.3 percent (35-74) from the field, while UNBC shot 45.9 percent (34-74).