December 11, 2012, Parksville, BC – Six men’s teams, including two from the Victoria Curling Club, have earned their spot at the 2013 Canadian Direct Insurance BC Men’s Curling Championship.
The teams include two teams from Vernon Curling Club and two teams from Victoria Curling Centre. Tom Buchy, fresh from an appearance at the Mixed Curling Nationals in Montreal, and his Mixed teammate Dave Toffolo, qualified with their men’s team.
The newly-qualified teams will join defending champion Jim Cotter and CTRS (Canadian Team Ranking System) points winner Brent Pierce at the event in Parksville from February 5-10, 2013.
The teams who earned their spot at provincials after qualification events include:
- Team Horning, from Trail Curling Club, made up of Skip Deane Horning, Third Don Freschi, Second Rob Nobert, Lead Brad Wood and Fifth Kevin Nesbitt.
- Team Buchy, from Kimberley Curling Club, made up of Skip Tom Buchy, Third Dave Stephenson, Second Dave Toffolo and Lead Darren Will.
- Team Perepolkin, from Vernon Curling Club, made up of Skip Trevor Perepolkin, Third Tyler Orme, Second James McKenzie and Lead Chris Anderson.
- Team Sexton, made up of Skip Jamie Sexton, Third Michael Longworth, Second Hugh Bennet, Lead Jonathan Gardner and Fifth Mark Longworth.
- Team Montgomery, from Victoria Curling Centre, made up of Skip Jason Montgomery, Third Miles Craig, Second Will Duggan and Lead Josh Hozack.
- Team Tuson, from Victoria Curling Centre, made up of Skip Jay Tuson, Third Colin Mantik, Second Glen Jackson and Lead Ken Tucker.
A qualification event for Lower Mainland teams will take place this weekend (December 14-16) at Chilliwack Curling Club. The top three teams will earn their berth to provincials at this event.
There will also be a final, open event for teams from any part of the province from January 4-6, 2013, at Golden Ears Winter Club in Maple Ridge. Four teams will earn spots at the championship event at this time.
To watch the teams in action, book your tickets to the 2013 Canadian Direct Insurance BC Men’s Curling Championship by contacting the Parksville Curling Club at 250-248-3764.