Vees Comeback “Waived Off”


January 12, 2013, SURREY, BC (ISN) – Not once but twice the Penticton Vees had goals disallowed and despite peppering the Surrey Eagles net with over 40 shots, dropped a 2-1 decision to the Surrey Eagles Friday.

Adam Tambellini in his Eagles debut scored both Surrey goals in the second period; all three goals in the game were scored in the middle frame. Jedd Soleway scored the only Vees goal on a five-on-three power-play but that’s the only puck that would beat Michael Santaguida; officially.

After a scoreless first period, and with the ice still wet, Adam Tambellini put the Eagles up by one early in the middle stanza, cashing in on his rebound at the side of the net. Tambellini was originally stopped by the pad of Nic Renyard, but as he was falling he flipped the puck over the outstretched Vees goaltender for his 23rd at 1:37.

Soleway brought the Vees back on even terms six minutes later while the Vees were up two skaters. On a two-man advantage, Soleway deflected Brad McClure’s shot from the slot just enough to squeeze through Michael Santaguida at 7:01.The Vees forward bagging his 10th of the season and scoring in his return to the line-up after serving a two-game suspension.

Tambellini and the Eagles went ahead again later in the period on a nicely executed two-on-one rush. The Vees rush stalled at the Surrey blue-line, and Demico Hannoun skated back the other way. Hannoun threaded the needle, firing a saucer pass cross-ice to Tambellini, who redirected the puck over the glove of Renyard at 14:36; Tambellini’s second as an Eagle and 24th on the year.

It looked like the Vees equalized not even two minutes later when Mike Rebry jammed a puck over the line in the Surrey crease or so it looked. At the near-post, Rebry shoveled the loose puck over the line past an Eagles defender and a sprawled Santaguida. However, the referee, after conferring with his linesman and goal judge, deemed the puck did not cross the goal-line.

It was déjà vu in the third period as the Vees once again looked have scored their second goal of the game; for the second time. Troy Stecher took a pass from the corner and wired a shot over Santaguida and under the cross-bar. However, for the second time, after more deliberation, the referee waived off the “goal” and the Vees again were left scratching their heads.

The Vees did get a golden opportunity to tie the game when the Eagles took a rash of penalties later in the third period. The Vees had a run of six straight power-plays, starting just before the seven minute mark. Twice the Vees had abbreviated five-on-three advantages but nothing materialized. The best chance was in the dying moments with the extra-attacker, as Brad McClure found a rebound at the side of the net, but pushed a bouncing puck wide of the yawning cage.

The Vees controlled the third from start to finish, outshooting the Eagles 20-5 and played predominantly in their end but couldn’t manufacture the tying goal.

Final Score: 2-1 Surrey

Shots: 41-24 Vees

Power-Play: Vees 1-8 Eagles 0-3

Three Stars) Michael Santaguida 2) Adam Tambellini 3) Jedd Soleway

The Vees drop to 24-11-0-3 and see their record slip to 2-8-0-1 when trailing after two periods.

The Vees wrap up their two-game Mainland Division swing tomorrow night in Langley. The Vees beat the Rivermen 5-1 back in early December at the SOEC. The Vees in fact play their next four games on the road and don’t return to the SOEC until January 25th, when battle the Vernon Vipers. Tickets are available at the Valley First box office at the SOEC, or online at