Vikes downed by Bisons buzzer beater

UVic-Logo web-(1)

By Manitoba Athletics

January 13, 2013, WINNIPEG – The University of Victoria Vikes men’s basketball team lost out after Yigit Ozsayiner hit a three point shot from the left arc at the buzzer to give the Manitoba Bisons an 82-79 victory over the Vikes on Jan. 13 at the Investors Group Athletic Centre. With the loss, the Vikes go 0-2 on the road this weekend, while their Canada West record falls to 7-5.

Victoria erased an 18-point fourth quarter deficit and tied the game with five seconds left on a Terrell Evans (Las Vegas, NV) free throw. However, Evans’ second attempt from the stripe rimmed out and Ozsayiner got a look with no time remaining, sinking the shot and sending the home crowd into a loud celebration.

Ozsayiner had 22 points and six rebounds for Manitoba, who improved to 8-5 in conference play. Bisons guard Stephan Walton led all scorers with 24 points, despite playing through what Schepp described as a stomach flu in the second half.

Michael Acheampong (Toronto, Ont.) led the Vikes with 17 points. Evans added 15 points and seven boards for Victoria, who saw their conference-road record drop to 2-4.

The two teams traded punches back and forth for most of the first half. Manitoba ended the half on an 11-3 run, giving them a 41-36 lead and sending Victoria into the locker room a disgruntled bunch. The Vikes grabbed 12 offensive rebounds in the half and beat the home team on the boards by a 23-18 margin. The Bisons shot 14-31 from the field in the first half, including 50% from three point range.

Manitoba got off to a great start in the second half, starting the third quarter with a 13-4 run and in the process, grabbing a 54-40 lead. Victoria shot an abysmal 25% (5-20) in the quarter and found themselves down 17 points after three, 66-49.

However, that lead was not safe. The use of a full court press created turnovers for Victoria, who started to find their shooting stroke. Victoria cut the Manitoba lead all the way down to two with 3:14 left in the game off a pair of Chris McLaughlin (Oakville, ON) free throws.

With 50 seconds remaining and the score 79-77 for the Bisons, Evans was fouled and sent to the line. He hit the first free throw but missed the second. Victoria regained possession after Manitoba did not score on their possesion and with five seconds left, Evans was sent back to the line. Evans sunk the first to tie the game but again missed the second, leading to Ozsayiner’s game-winning bucket.

Both teams return to action next weekend. Manitoba goes on the road and heads out west for games against Mount Royal (Jan. 17) and the University of Northern British Columbia (Jan. 19). Meanwhile, Victoria goes home to the McKinnon Gym for a pair of games, where they hope to improve on their 5-1 home record.