January 23, 2013, Toronto, ON (ISN) – The Canadian Hockey League announced that Alex Gogolev of the Victoria Royals is the CHL Player of the Week for recording 12 points including three goals and nine assists along with a plus-minus rating of plus-2 in four games for the week ending January 20.
Gogolev led the Royals to four wins last week and produced a multi-point effort in each victory. He started the week with a goal and two assists on Tuesday night in a 6-4 win over the Kamloops Blazers, then picked up two assists in the rematch Wednesday night helping the Royals grab a 3-2 shootout victory over the Blazers. Gogolev then claimed second star honours twice to wrap up the week including Friday night after scoring the game-winner with two assists in a 6-2 win over the Vancouver Giants, and Saturday in Kamloops with a goal and three assists in the 5-4 win over the Blazers to extend the Royals’ winning-streak to a season-high five straight games.
Gogolev, a 20-year-old from Moscow, Russia, is playing in his second WHL season and first with the Royals. He is currently 16th in WHL scoring with 55 points including 16 goals and 39 assists in 42 games and is just two points shy of the 57 he posted last season with the Calgary Hitmen.
Also considered for the award this week was Dmitrij Jaskin of the Moncton Wildcats who scored three goals and seven assists for 10 points in three games, and J.P. Labardo of the Erie Otters who scored two goals and five assists for seven points in two games.
2012-13 CHL Players of the Week:
- Jan. 14 – Jan. 20: Alex Gogolev, Victoria Royals
- Jan. 7 – Jan 13: Valentin Zykov, Baie-Comeau Drakkar
- Dec. 31 – Jan. 6: Zach O’Brien, Acadie-Bathurst Titan
- Dec. 24 – Dec. 30: Anton Zlobin, Val-d’Or Foreurs
- Dec. 10 – Dec. 16: Alex Galchenyuk, Sarnia Sting
- Dec. 3 – Dec. 9: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 26 – Dec. 2: Josh Currie, PEI Rocket
- Nov. 19 – Nov. 25: Scott Kosmachuk, Guelph Storm
- Nov. 12 – Nov. 18: Raphaël Bussières, Baie-Comeau Drakkar
- Nov. 5 – Nov. 11 : Philippe Maillet, Victoriaville Tigres
- Oct. 29 – Nov. 4 : Brett Ritchie, Niagara IceDogs
- Oct. 22 – Oct. 28: Curtis Valk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oct. 15 – Oct. 21: Hunter Garlent, Guelph Storm
- Oct. 8 – Oct. 14: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 1 – Oct. 7: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Sept. 24 – Sept. 30: Jean-Sébastien Dea, Rouyn-Noranda Huskies
- Sept. 20 – Sept. 23: Jonathan Drouin, Halifax Mooseheads