January 28, 2013, Calgary AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Edmonton Oil Kings’ forward Henrik Samuelsson is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week.
Samuelsson collected 10 points, scoring two goals and eight assists to go with a +5 rating, in four games over the past week, helping the Oil Kings to a 4-0-0-0 record in that span.
On Tuesday, January 22, Samuelsson picked up one assist in the Oil Kings 7-0 triumph over the Warriors in Moose Jaw. The next night, Wednesday, January 23, Samuelsson collected a goal, an assist and was named the game’s 2nd Star as the Oil Kings doubled the Blades 4-2 in Saskatoon. On Saturday, January 26, the Oil Kings were back home at Rexall Place in Edmonton playing host to the Brandon Wheat Kings. Samuelsson nabbed three assists and was named the game’s 3rd Star in the Oil Kings 5-2 win over the Wheaties. The next afternoon, the Oil Kings welcomed the Lethbridge Hurricanes to Rexall. Samuelsson scored one goal, added three assists and was named the game’s 2nd Star in the Oil Kings 7-1 victory over the ‘Canes.
Samuelsson currently sits 11th among all WHL scorers with 61 points (26 goals, 35 assists) in 51 games played thus far this season. The Oil Kings have won five straight games, eight of their last 10 and currently sit 1st in the WHL Eastern Conference with a 35-11-2-3 record for 75 points.
An 18-year-old from Scottsdale, AZ, Samuelsson is playing his second season in the Western Hockey League. A list player who joined the Oil Kings mid-way through last season, the Phoenix Coyotes recently selected Samuelsson in the 1st round – 27th overall in the 2012 NHL Draft.
The WHL has also nominated Tristan Jarry of the Edmonton Oil Kings for the CHL Goaltender of the Week Award. Jarry posted a 2-0-0-0 record this past week with one shut-out, stopping 40 of 42 shots faced for a 0.952 save-percentage and 0.98 goals-against average. Jarry, a 17-year-old from Delta, BC, led the Oil Kings to a 7-0 shut-out road victory over the Moose Jaw Warriors and a 5-2 win over the visiting Brandon Wheat Kings.
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Jan. 21 – Jan. 27: Henrik Samuelsson, Edmonton Oil Kings
- Jan. 14 – Jan. 20: Alex Gogolev, Victoria Royals
- Jan. 7 – Jan. 13: Troy Rutkowski, Portland Winterhawks
- Dec. 31 – Jan. 6: Cody Sylvester, Calgary Hitmen
- Dec. 17 – Dec. 30: Anthony Bardaro, Prince Albert Raiders
- Dec. 10 – Dec. 16: Josh Nicholls, Saskatoon Blades
- Dec. 3 – Dec. 9: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 26 – Dec. 2: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 19 – 25: Brendan Leipsic, Portland Winterhawks
- Nov. 12 – 18: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Nov. 5 – Nov. 11: Mark McNeill, Prince Albert Raiders
- Oct. 29 – Nov. 4: Justin Feser, Tri-City Americans
- Oct. 22 – Oct. 28: Curtis Valk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oct. 15 – Oct. 21: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 8 – Oct. 14: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 1 – Oct. 7: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Sept. 24 – Sept. 30: Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Sept. 20 – Sept. 23: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
“Denny’s: open 24/7 for all your hunger needs. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night, Denny’s has you covered. Open 24/7”