Cougars Double Up on Panthers


By Peter Kung

February 2, 2013, North Saanich, BC (ISN) – Ben Kinshella scored twice and added an assist as the Victoria Cougars doubled up on the Peninsula Panthers 6-3 in a rough and tumble affair Friday night.

It was all quiet on the western front until both teams combined for 158 third period penalty minutes.

Up until then, referee Riley Friesen had only called seven minor penalties, four to Peninsula and three to the Cougars.

Wade Johnson, Dane Feeney, Mark Walton, and Robert Zadra also scored for Victoria as it improved to 42-1-0-2 on the season.

Will Finlay, who received a ten minute misconduct midway through the third period, scored one of the three Panthers goals. Also lighting the lamp were Nathan Looysen and Zack Smith.

Shots on goal favoured the Cougars 35-20.

Brody Coulter, who had an assist in the game, was targeted twice in the third period.

A scuffle behind the Victoria net at the 11:16 mark resulted in Daniel Welch receiving a double minor for high-sticking. That was also the same time when Finlay received his ten minute misconduct.

Then 96 seconds later, off a face off deep in enemy territory, Kyle Richardson and Coulter got into a shoving match. Both players received ten minute misconducts for their actions.

The Cougars led 3-0 after one period and 5-0 after two.

Johnson, who was playing on a line with Jamie Severs and Kinshella, opened the scoring at 9:26 after he chased down a loose puck and then fired it past Stephen Heslop.

Victoria’s head coach Mark Van Helvoirt mixed up his line combinations as he put Coulter alongside Nathan Chen-Mack and Kelyn Opel, Sam Rice with Walton and Feeney, and left David Marshall centering Jake Daughtry and Jo Davie.

Feeney, on a power play, made it 2-0 after teaming up with Coulter and Walton at 14:05.

Then at 17:13, Kinshella potted his first of two goals.

Walton scored the Cougars fourth goal after gobbling up a loose puck and beating Heslop with a backhander at 1:29 of the second period.

A giveaway by defenseman Tomas Strocel would lead to Kinshella scoring shorthanded at 5:53.

Helsop was replaced by Josh Round following the goal but product of the Juan de Fuca Minor Hockey Association returned to the game a minute and a half later.

Midway through the period, Rhys Williams made a fine defensive play to break up an odd man rush led by Looysen.

The Panthers, who dropped to 21-20-0-3, got on the board 28 seconds into the third period when Finlay banged home a Reece Costain rebound past Evan Roch.

A shorthanded marker by Looysen cut the lead to 5-2 at 17:02.

Zadra restored Victoria’s four goal lead at 18:36 before Smith rounded out the scoring 65 seconds later.

There were two fights during the rambunctious third period. Davie fought Grayson Vickers while in a separate incident; Opel exchanged blows with Connor Logan.

Friday’s game took two hours and 24-minutes to complete.

Next game for the Cougars is Thursday, February 7 against Peninsula. Game time at the Archie Browning Sports Centre, located at 1151 Esquimalt Road, is 7:00 p.m.