February 11, 2013, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Saskatoon Blades forward Brenden Walker is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week.
Walker collected nine points, scoring four goals and five assists to go with a +6 rating in four games over the past week, helping the Blades to a 4-0-0-0 record in that span.
On Tuesday, February 5, the Blades welcomed East Division rivals the Moose Jaw Warriors to the Credit Union Centre in Saskatoon. Walker scored two goals and was named the games’ 3rd Star as the Blades edged the Warriors 5-4. The next night, Wednesday, February 6, Walker nabbed three assists in the Blades 7-1 win over the visiting Prince Albert Raiders. On Friday, February 8, Walker picked up one assist in the Blades 4-1 road victory over the Swift Current Broncos. On Saturday, February 9, the Blades were back at home to face the Lethbridge Hurricanes. Walker netted two goals, one assist and was named the games’ 1st Star in the Blades 5-2 win over the ‘Canes.
Walker currently sits 4th in Blades team scoring with 51 points (20 goals, 31 assists) in 55 games played thus far this season. The Blades have won eight straight contests and are making a move up the WHL Eastern Conference standings currently sitting 4th with a 31-21-0-3 record for 65 points.
A 20-year-old from St. Anne, MB, Walker is in his fourth full season of play in the Western Hockey League. Originally a 12th round WHL Draft selection by Brandon in 2007, Walker joined the Saskatoon Blades prior to the start of the 2012-13 season after spending three years with the Wheat Kings and has gone on to appear in 252 career regular season games collecting 203 points (80 goals, 123 assists) thus far.
The WHL has also nominated Tristan Jarry of the Edmonton Oil Kings for the CHL Goaltender of the Week Award. Jarry posted a 2-0-0-0 record this past week with one shut-out, stopping 48 of 50 shots faced for a 0.960 save-percentage and 1.00 goals-against average. Jarry, a 17-year-old from Delta, BC, led the Oil Kings to road victories over the Regina Pats (7-0, 2nd Star) and the Brandon Wheat Kings (6-2).
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Feb. 4 – Feb. 10: Brenden Walker, Saskatoon Blades
- Jan. 28 – Feb. 3: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Jan. 21 – Jan. 27: Henrik Samuelsson, Edmonton Oil Kings
- Jan. 14 – Jan. 20: Alex Gogolev, Victoria Royals
- Jan. 7 – Jan. 13: Troy Rutkowski, Portland Winterhawks
- Dec. 31 – Jan. 6: Cody Sylvester, Calgary Hitmen
- Dec. 17 – Dec. 30: Anthony Bardaro, Prince Albert Raiders
- Dec. 10 – Dec. 16: Josh Nicholls, Saskatoon Blades
- Dec. 3 – Dec. 9: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 26 – Dec. 2: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 19 – 25: Brendan Leipsic, Portland Winterhawks
- Nov. 12 – 18: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Nov. 5 – Nov. 11: Mark McNeill, Prince Albert Raiders
- Oct. 29 – Nov. 4: Justin Feser, Tri-City Americans
- Oct. 22 – Oct. 28: Curtis Valk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oct. 15 – Oct. 21: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 8 – Oct. 14: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 1 – Oct. 7: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Sept. 24 – Sept. 30: Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Sept. 20 – Sept. 23: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
“Denny’s: open 24/7 for all your hunger needs. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night, Denny’s has you covered. Open 24/7”