March 5, 2013, Calgary, AB (ISN) – The Western Hockey League announced today that Edmonton Oil Kings forward Michael St. Croix is the Denny’s WHL Player of the Week.
St. Croix collected nine points, scoring two goals and seven assists to go with a +5 rating in three games over the past week, helping the Oil Kings to a 3-0-0-0 road record in that span.
On Tuesday, February 26, the Oil Kings were in Seattle to face the Thunderbirds. St. Croix gathered one goal, two assists and was named the games’ 2nd Star as the Oil Kings tripled the Tbirds 6-2. On Wednesday, February 27, the Portland Winterhawks hosted the Oil Kings in a finalist reunion of the 2012 WHL Championship Series. St. Croix collected one goal, one assist and was named the game’s 3rd Star as the Oil Kings edged the ‘Hawks 4-3. The Oil Kings wrapped up their U.S. Division road trip with a stop in Everett on Friday, March 1. St. Croix nabbed four assists and was named the games’ 1st Star in the Oil Kings 7-1 triumph over the Silvertips.
St. Croix currently sits 9th among all WHL scorers with 83 points (33 goals, 50 assists) in 66 games played thus far this season. The Edmonton Oil Kings have won 16 of their last 20 contests and currently sit 1st in the WHL Eastern Conference with a 46-15-2-3 record for 97 points.
A 19-year-old from Winnipeg, MB, St. Croix is playing his fourth straight year with the Edmonton Oil Kings. Originally a 4th overall selection by the Oil Kings in the 2008 WHL Draft, the shifty centerman was selected in the 4th round of the 2011 NHL Draft by the New York Rangers.
The WHL has also nominated Cole Cheveldave of the Kamloops Blazers for the CHL Goaltender of the Week Award. Cheveldave posted a 3-0-0-0 record this past week with one shut-out, stopping 75 of 78 shots faced for a 0.962 save-percentage and 1.00 goals-against average. Cheveldave, an 19-year-old from Calgary, AB, led the Blazers to a 4-1 win over Prince George (26 svs), 4-2 victory over Vancouver (24 svs) and a 3-0 shut-out of the Kelowna Rockets (25 svs, 3rd Star).
Denny’s WHL Player of the Week
- Feb. 25 – Mar. 3: Michael St. Croix, Edmonton Oil Kings
- Feb. 18 – Feb. 24: Justin Feser, Tri-City Americans
- Feb. 11 – Feb. 17: Morgan Rielly, Moose Jaw Warriors
- Feb. 4 – Feb. 10: Brenden Walker, Saskatoon Blades
- Jan. 28 – Feb. 3: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Jan. 21 – Jan. 27: Henrik Samuelsson, Edmonton Oil Kings
- Jan. 14 – Jan. 20: Alex Gogolev, Victoria Royals
- Jan. 7 – Jan. 13: Troy Rutkowski, Portland Winterhawks
- Dec. 31 – Jan. 6: Cody Sylvester, Calgary Hitmen
- Dec. 17 – Dec. 30: Anthony Bardaro, Prince Albert Raiders
- Dec. 10 – Dec. 16: Josh Nicholls, Saskatoon Blades
- Dec. 3 – Dec. 9: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 26 – Dec. 2: Jaimen Yakubowski, Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Nov. 19 – 25: Brendan Leipsic, Portland Winterhawks
- Nov. 12 – 18: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Nov. 5 – Nov. 11: Mark McNeill, Prince Albert Raiders
- Oct. 29 – Nov. 4: Justin Feser, Tri-City Americans
- Oct. 22 – Oct. 28: Curtis Valk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oct. 15 – Oct. 21: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 8 – Oct. 14: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Oct. 1 – Oct. 7: JC Lipon, Kamloops Blazers
- Sept. 24 – Sept. 30: Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers
- Sept. 20 – Sept. 23: Nicolas Petan, Portland Winterhawks
“Denny’s: open 24/7 for all your hunger needs. Whether it’s breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night, Denny’s has you covered. Open 24/7”