VICTORIA – Canada’s best swimmers are getting ready to compete at the World Championships Trials in Victoria, and music plays a major role in their preparation.
Whether they use it to get pumped up for a set, inspired to compete, or to relax after a hard workout, swimmers from coast to coast have been listening to a variety of tunes in the weeks leading up to trials.
With Swimming Canada’s flagship event of the year set to get underway Wednesday, Swimming Canada presents “Tunes That Make the Team,” a playlist of songs some of the country’s fastest swimmers have been enjoying lately. The World Championships Trials are being held at Saanich Commonwealth Place from Wednesday through Saturday.
Montreal’s Audrey Lacroix, holder of three Canadian long-course records, including the 200-metre butterfly, chose the song Titanium by David Guetta feat. Sia.
“It has been my song since it came out last year,” says Lacroix, who competed at the 2008 and 2012 Olympics. “It pumps me up and seems to fit my personal story about swimming.”
Compiled from the iPods of a variety of swimmers hoping to qualify to represent Canada at the FINA World Championships, “Tunes That Make the Team” features everything from classic rock legend Jimi Hendrix to 2013 Grammy winners The Black Keys.
“I must admit I’d heard the song Lonely Boy numerous times and couldn’t figure out enough of the lyrics to Google the song,” says two-time Olympian Jillian Tyler of Calgary. “So I’m a little behind in jumping on The Black Keys’ bandwagon but I’ve been listening to it a lot lately.”
Featuring artists as diverse as Carly Rae Jepsen and Audioslave, genres from hard rock to electronic dance to mellow acoustic, the playlist showcases Canadian swimmers’ wide range of musical tastes.
“Call Me Maybe by Carly Rae Jepsen is one of the songs that I am loving right now to get me pumped up for races and stuff,” says Erika Seltenreich-Hodgson of Ottawa, who is hoping to qualify for her first senior national team.
We hope you’ll find a few favourites on the list, and discover some new music as well:
Tunes That Make the Team
1. The Black Keys – Lonely Boy (Jillian Tyler)
2. Imagine Dragons – Radioactive (Hilary Caldwell)
3. Arkells – Book Club (Zack Chetrat)
4. Swedish House Mafia feat. John Martin – Don’t You Worry Child (Samantha Cheverton)
5. Walk Off the Earth – Red Hands (Martha McCabe)
6. Ed Sheeran – The A Team (Katerine Savard)
7. Grimes – Genesis (Kelly Aspinall)
8. Phillip Phillips – Gone, Gone, Gone (Tera Van Beilen)
9. Carly Rae Jepsen – Call Me Maybe (Erika Seltenreich-Hodgson)
10. Audioslave – Be Yourself (Alec Page)
11. Classified feat. David Myles – Inner Ninja (Savannah King)
12. The Black Keys – Little Black Submarines (Hilary Caldwell)
13. Zedd – Clarity (Ryan Cochrane)
14. Red Hot Chili Peppers – Can’t Stop (Alec Page)
15. Major Lazer feat. Flux Pavilion – Jah No Partial (Ryan Cochrane)
16. David Guetta feat. Sia – Titanium (Audrey Lacroix)
17. Avicii – Levels (Alexa Komarnycky)
18. Serena Ryder – Stompa (Savannah King)
19. Jimi Hendrix – All Along the Watchtower (Alec Page)
20. Local Natives – Who Knows Who Cares (Charles Francis)
21. The Bloody Beetroots & Greta Svabo Bech – Chronicles of a Fallen Love (Ryan Cochrane)
22. Above & Beyond feat. Zoe Johnston – Love Is Not Enough Club Mix (Eric Hedlin)