Saanich Parks and Recreation
April 10, 2013, Saanich, BC (ISN) – The District of Saanich has partnered with a variety of Community Organizations to present the 4th annual Saanich Cycling Festival on Sunday, April 21 from 11:00 am – 1:30 pm.
The event features the BIG Family Bike Ride which is a mass participation ride celebrating Earth Day 2013.
Cycle the Shelbourne Corridor at the Saanich Cycling Festival
Sunday, April 21, 2013
11:00 am – 1:30 pm at the University of Victoria: Lot #10
The ride will be escorted by the Saanich Police along the Shelbourne Street Corridor.
Participants have two routes to choose from:
There will be a 4.9 km Shelbourne Street route and a Kid’s UVic route, so even the smallest cycling enthusiasts will be able to celebrate Earth Day. Stage entertainment, bike demonstrations, interactive games and activities, information displays, a bike rodeo, and concessions will round out a day of free family fun.
Shelbourne Bike Ride:
- Starts at 11:00 am from Camosun College (Lansdowne) and ends at University of Victoria – Parking Lot #10
- Slow pace suitable for families with children 7+
- Saanich Police provide rolling street closures along Shelbourne Street and McKenzie Avenue
- Free parking is available at UVic Lot #6 and cyclists are asked to use Henderson Road to access Camosun College (Lansdowne) for the start.
- Saanich Fire Dept will be on hand with a ladder truck for an aerial group photo
Kid’s UVic Ride:
- Starts at 11:00 am from University of Victoria – Parking Lot #10
- Slow pace suitable for families with children 6 and under
- Saanich Police bike squad escort riders
- Start and Finish will be the East Exit of Lot #10 at the University of Victoria
- Look for the inflatable start/finish archway