April 30, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The club had a great weekend, with two Island championships earned, and all four senior squads set to compete in Provincial playoffs.
Saturday, the women started things off with a convincing 41-5 win over SFU in a Provincial semi-final. They have this coming weekend off, before shooting for a repeat of last season’s Provincial Premier championship on May 11 against Burnaby Lake. Burnaby handed Velox their only loss of the season back in February, but the Valkyries have come a long way since then!
The Valhallians also won Saturday, beating Nanaimo 46-20 in the Island Final for the Cowichan Cup. As Island champs, they now proceed to the Provincial semi-finals (Okanagan Spring Brewery League 1) hosting Abbotsford (2nd place on the mainland) Saturday. The winner of that game will play the winner of UBC/Rowers for the Provincial Championship, and promotion to Premier.
Sunday, the 3rds made it a clean sweep with a tight 10-6 win over Comox in the Island final (game played in Cowichan). Velox has a tight hold on that title, having maintained possession since first winning it in the Spring of 2010. That’s 4 years, but technically 6 titles as two of those seasons were split into Fall and Spring competitions. Both Velox and Comox proceed to Provincial playoffs, with Velox hosting a semi-final in Tier A, and Comox competing in Tier B. Next up for Velox is (unconfirmed) the Brit Lions.
The women have a bye this weekend, and are waiting for details of where their championship match against Burnaby will be played (Saturday, May 11th).
For the men, the club will be hosting an unprecedented three provincial semi-finals this Saturday. All has yet to be confirmed, but the headliner match will be the Valhallians vs Abbotsford in OSBL1 (presumably 2:30 or 2:45). The Academy squad was to have travelled to the mainland for an OSBL2 semi-final, but as the match is also against Abbotsford all agreed to relocate (presumably 1pm at Velox). The 3rds will likely have the first game of the day (11:30) hosting the Brit Lions.
Again, this schedule is unconfirmed, but start planning now for a huge day at the club Saturday! I’ll have an update out when details are set.
Velox Rugby Development Scholarship
Velox Rugby Club would like to announce its new scholarship program for the 2013-14 season.
Two scholarships, with a value of $7500 will be awarded to one male and one female student athlete that will include full accommodation costs as well as $1000 toward tuition.
Velox historically has had a small player base that hasn’t relied a lot on national team players, which has allowed many quality student players who may have struggled to become identified at larger programs, to join Velox and become successful premier level players. With the addition of this ground-breaking scholarship program, Velox is sure to be discovered by some amazing players in the seasons to come.
The Velox family is second to none, with an amazing playing and social atmosphere and a rock solid support system. The future is looking very bright for Velox, with our women being reigning BC champions and our men reigning Times Cup and Cowichan Cup champions.
Eligibility Criteria and Application Procedures for 2013 Scholarships
The total value of each scholarship is approximately $7500. Awards include:
– $1000 payable to the institution at which the scholarship recipient is registered. Funds can be directed towards tuition or books or a combination of both;
– Housing for a period of 9 months (duration of 1 academic calendar/playing year) at Velox Rugby Club, including hydro and internet ($5000 value);
– Velox Rugby Club registration dues and Rugby Canada liability insurance ($400);
– A 9-month periodized training program designed by a certified strength and conditioning specialist. ($1100 value); and
– 24 hour gym access at Velox Rugby Club.
Scholarships will be awarded to one male and female rugby-playing student.
– Velox Rugby Club Scholarship Selection Committee reserves the right not to award one or both scholarships in the absence of an appropriate recipient.
– Once awarded, scholarships cannot be deferred for any length of time.
– Failure of a scholarship recipient to take up the scholarship in the term for which it was awarded results in a deemed refusal or forfeiture of the scholarship.
The selection committee will award two scholarships. The scholarships will be awarded to one male and one female rugby player, in accordance with the eligibility criteria and application requirements set out. In order to be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
– Canadian citizenship or permanent residence or a player that is not considered a ‘foreigner’ by BC rugby.
– High school graduation, or will have graduated by the time the scholarship is taken up.
– Proof of full-time enrolment in a diploma, degree or certificate program of 2 years duration or longer (i.e. university, college, trade school or certificate program) in greater Victoria. Students who are in the application process are encouraged to apply. However, in order to receive the scholarship, recipients must be admitted, enrolled and attending an educational institution.
-Registration on one of the Velox Rugby Club teams: (U19/20, Academy, Division 1 or Premier) for the duration of the scholarship term.
– Motivated, mature who excels in rugby with the willingness to train and develop to their highest potential.
– Ability to successfully balance academic and athletic commitments on a full time basis.
– Include in your email: Name, Age, Position, Height, Weight, Education, Past Clubs and Rugby Experience.
– Applicant essay on the importance of rugby in the applicant’s life.
– 2 Letters of reference (preferably from rugby coach and teacher).
– Include a short 2-3 minute video of yourself speaking about what you can bring to Velox and also include any game footage that you may have of yourself.
In order to be considered, complete applications must be submitted to Velox Rugby Club via email to Velox head coach Aaron Frisby at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the deadline.
Deadline: June 30, 2013 at 4pm