May 21, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – Canada’s first outdoor triathlon festival of the year provides a “Beautiful B.C.” experience at Shawnigan Lake, just a short 30 minute drive from Victoria.
Run on the breathtaking Trans Canada trail to the newly rebuilt historic Kinsol Trestle, with no pavement pounding your legs! A true west coast experience in one of the most beautiful areas of the world – the Wildflower of the North. Like Wildflower, the famous early season California triathlon festival, the Shawnigan event features: the first chance to swim an open water long distance (or Olympic, Sprint, and Relay!), a stunning scenic venue, beautiful trail running, great camping near the race site and a fun festival atmosphere. The event weekend festival will include live entertainment, food sampling, demonstrations, clinics, sponsor and local business expo booths, and concessions.
• This year, the Subaru Shawnigan Lake Triathlon is proud to host the first-ever Western Canadian High School Championships! Students representing 35 High Schools and 23 communities across BC and Alberta are making their way to the Island. This includes already bright stars in the sport such as 15-year-old Holly Henry; a 2012 BC Games gold medalist.
• This event is a World Qualifying event for the 2014 World Championships in Edmonton. One male and one female athlete in each age group will qualify; this race will send 26 athletes to compete for Canada! With the World Championships being in a Canadian city next year, donning the red and white will be even more special.
• The venue is absolutely spectacular!
o Swim out into the beautiful Shawnigan Lake, hop on your bike and loop the lake through the dense coastal evergreen forest, and then run up the Trans Canada Trail! If you’re taking on the Long Distance your run will take you across the monumental Kinsol Trestle, offering an amazing view as you run above the treetops.
• With representation by some of the sport’s top elite athletes, an age range from 12 to 76, a brand-new high school event, and a World Championship qualifier, the Subaru Shawnigan Lake Triathlon is shaping up to be a phenomenal weekend!
Subaru Shawnigan Lake Triathlon
Date: This Sunday, May 26th, 2013
Time: 7:00am to 4:00pm
Location: West Shawnigan Lake Provincial Park, Shawnigan Lake, BC
Elite Race Start: 8:00am
Elite Race Expected Finish: 12noon-12:30pm
Media/VIP Credentials: Available upon request
Athlete Interviews: Available upon request
Event Preview Media Release: Will be sent out on Thursday, May 23rd
Event Website: www.TriSeries.ca
Developing Stories/Exciting Features:
1. Elite Athlete Field: Adam O’Meara is back to defend his title in the elite men’s race along with Inaki De la Parra, the 2012 Ultraman UK Champion and record holder (10k swim, 420km bike, 84.2km run!). Two-time Ironman 70.3 Champion Tenille Hoogland will look for her first Subaru Western Triathlon Series title and London Olympian Brent McMahon will take part in the shorter races.
2. Inaugural Western Canadian High School Championships : This is the first time a high school events has been held in Canada! 23 communities & 35 High Schools represented!
3. World Championship Qualifying: 26 age-group athletes will qualify to represent Canada in Edmonton next year for the 2014 World Triathlon Championships in the Sprint division
4. The Kinsol Trestle: The incredible 150 foot high Kinsol Trestle will again be part of the run course.
Approximately 850 Participants:
• 550 individuals (Super Sprint, Sprint, Olympic, Half Iron)
• 100 athletes on relay teams
• 200 kids in the Kid’s Fun Run
Where are the Participants from:
5 Countries (including UK, Mexico and Netherlands)
7 US States (including New York and Hawaii)
7 Provinces and Territories (including Quebec and Yukon Territory)
Ages of Participants:
12 – 76