west shore bears

Story and photos by Kasey Eriksen (ISN)

May 24, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – On Thursday night at Bear Mountain Arena the Westshore Bears played host to the Saanich Tigers.

The game was dedicated to Brian Mayzes who passed away on the 19th of June, 2009 and Thursday would have marked Brian’s 54th Birthday. Brian’s son Cory was in net for the Tigers and Brad Everson was in net for the Bears but it was the Tigers who took the win home with BM (Brian Mayzes) proudly watching on.

aIMG 1764small
A mid-floor collision between players – Photo by Kasey Eriksen (ISN)

The first period set the pace for the entire game which was feisty and without a dull moment. There were many penalties throughout the game on both sides as friendships were left on the doorstep and players put on their game faces, all hoping for the win.

aIMG 1874small
The ball bounces out of a stick as Bears’ Kelly Schiarrizza and Tigers’ Ethan Garland battle for it – Photo by Kasey Eriksen (ISN)

The first goal went to the Tigers as Ethan Garland scored it shorthanded but it was answered back by the Bears a short time later when Lance Dixon tied the game at one. Then Saanich’s Derek Jackson got the go-ahead goal ending the period with a score of 2-1 for the Tigers.

aIMG 1879small
Tigers’ Aidan Palke does his best to score on Bears’ Brad Everson but it’s a missPhoto by Kasey Eriksen (ISN)

Both teams managed a turn beating the opposing goalie in the second period, but three of the four goals scored were in favor of the Tigers. At five minutes in, the Tigers plotted their third of the game when Trevor Hansen buried the ball in behind Everson followed by another by Sam Tschritter bringing the scoring to 4-1 for the Tigers.

aIMG 1935small
Bears’ James Spence tries to beat Tigers’ netminder Cory Mayzes but the ball stays out – Photo by Kasey Eriksen (ISN)

With seven minutes left in the game the Bears got their chance to beat Mayzes. The goal went to James Spence,  the Tigers had their last opportunity in the period with just one minute, thirty six seconds left in play when Emillio Garcia fired the ball in behind Everson ending the period with a score of 5-2 for the Tigers.

aIMG 1960small
Tigers Derek Jackson tries to keep Bears Luke Michaud away from the ball – Photo by Kasey Eriksen (ISN)

It was Ethan Garland for the Tigers who scored first in the second period, chalking up his second unassisted goal of the game. Travis Lang scored next for the Bears but it was quickly a four goal deficit as Ethan Garland scored a hat trick during the last few minutes of play. The Bears’ Jonny Fifield squeezed in one more for the team with one minute, fifty four seconds left on the board so the Final buzzer sounded with a final score of 7-4 Tigers.