By Janice Huckin

May 25, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The Jr. Shamrocks doubled the last place Burnaby Lakers 14-7 at Bear Mountain Arena Saturday. The score sounds more of a runaway than it actually was as the Lakers stayed with the Rocks for 2 periods before surrendering 6 unanswered goals in period 3.

Starting goaltenders were Cody Hagedorn for the Rocks and Xander McDonald for the Lakers. Victoria took the early lead when some quick ball movement paid off in a goal by Chris Wardle at 3:48 but the Lakers got that one back just 15 seconds later when Brendan Shea scored. Burnaby jumped into the lead at 6:10 when Danny Spagnuolo let go a heavy shot in front. Dominik Pesek got the home team even at 8:20, going to the front of the net and Devon Casey got the lead back for the Shamrocks at 9:18, going in alone off a loose ball pick-up. But the Lakers came back with 2 goals in 30 seconds near the end of the period as Justin Appels’ persistence paid off and at 18:54 Shea picked up his second to restore a 1-goal lead for the visitors going into the dressing room after 20 minutes. The Rocks had a slim 20-16 edge in shots on goal.

The Lakers extended their lead at 2:30 of period 2 when Shea scored his hat trick goal with a bouncer through Hagedorn’s legs. That was a wake-up call for the Shamrocks and they did wake up, pounding in the next 5 goals. Dane Schoor notched a shorthanded marker at 4:16 and followed up with his second at 7:37, on a fast-break transition. Brody Eastwood gave the Rocks the lead at 13:36, putting a shot over top of McDonald and added his second at 15:57 off an interception by Brandan Smith. Power forward Kurtis Green made it 8-5 at 16:53. A bit of a defensive lapse late in the frame allowed Burnaby to get back into the game as Trenton Matsuzaki scored a power play goal at 18:58 and Spgnuolo got his second of the game at 19:25 on a shot that Hagedorn got a piece of. That made it 8-7 for the home team heading for home.

The third period was all Shamrocks as they scored 6 unanswered goals and outshot the Lakers by a 19-10 margin to make it 57-37 overall in the game.

Brody Eastwood led the Shamrocks in scoring with the hat trick and 2 assists while Dane Schoor and Chris Wardle each had 5-point nights with 2 goals and 3 helpers. Devon Casey, after sitting out the game in Nanaimo Tuesday came up with a goal and 3 assists. Dane Sorensen and Max Fredrickson each scored once and had 2 assists while Dominek Pesek, who has been coming on strong lately had 2 goals and 1 helper. Kurtis Green and Chris Kasper had the other Victoria goals.

The result puts the Shamrocks into a second-place tie in league standings. The game was not as impressive as the score might seem to indicate and the Rocks will have to be a lot better as they go on the road Sunday to face the Coquitlam Adanacs for the third and final time of the regular season. That series is tied 1-1. The Shamrocks return to Bear Mountain Arena next Saturday, June 1 at 5:00 when the New Westminster Salmonbellies will be the visitors.