Highlander​s Kick Off Road Trip With Victory


James Nielsen, Highlanders Communications

June 22, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The Highlanders men’s first-team kicked off their two-game road trip with a victory Friday night, defeating the North Sound SeaWolves with a strong defensive showing that included two goals for the visiting team.

The opening five minutes of Friday’s match didn’t see the first real opportunity occur until the sixth minute, when forward Braxton Griffin fired a shot that went wide right past Highlanders goalkeeper Elliot Mitrou.

Following the SeaWolves chance, forward Brett Levis broke in to the left of SeaWolves goalkeeper Ryan Herman, firing it to the back of the net to make it 1-0 at the six minute mark.

Riley O’Neill looked to build upon the lead when his header from inside the box was stopped by Herman at the 15-minute mark.

A potentially dangerous play the SeaWolves in the first half was stopped by a sliding Ryan Ashlee, who made the defensive play to the left of Mitrou. Mitrou was sharp in the first half, breaking up several attempts by North Sound in the Highlanders defensive zone.

Jordie Hughes sprung to life in the 40th minute, with two late chances including a strike that was put just over the crossbar. His efforts were mimicked at the other end, when SeaWolves striker Bradley Jacobson also fired a blast that went just high.

The Highlanders opened the second half with more energy. O’Neill was taken down following his second header attempt of the match—a play that went uncalled by the referee.

Following a tackle on Blair Sturrock by Jordan Aidoud that received a yellow card, defensman Tyler Hughes struck a perfect free kick from 30 yards out that found the back of the net at the 75-minute mark, putting the Highlanders up 2-0. Following the goal, brother Jordie Hughes went on a breakaway, but was unable to outlast goalkeeper Herman who swallowed up the ball after sliding to his left.

The strong defensive showing by the Highlanders limited any major opportunities following Hughes’ goal, and the Highlanders would carry the 2-0 lead to the whistle, earning them their sixth victory of the season.

The next Highlanders home match is the Charity Shield match against Victoria United, Wednesday, July 3 at 7:00pm. The final home game match takes place against Portand Timbers, Saturday, July 13 at 7:30pm. For more information visit www.victoriahighlandersfc.com