Rocks Hang On to Defeat Coquitlam

victoria shamrocks

By Janice Huckin

June 22, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The Intermediate ‘A’ Shamrocks played their first home game in 3 weeks Saturday as they played host to the Coquitlam Adanacs and came away with an 11-9 victory.

It’s been a bit of a weird schedule for the team as they have only played twice since June 1, both games on the road so it was good to get back on home turf. Trace Birley got the start in goal for the home team while Andrew Gallant got the nod at the other end of the floor. The Rocks jumped out to an early lead, Nate Wade going to the front of the net and scoring at 1:31. Graham Winship made it 2-0 and 2:33 and at 3:27, Connor Leies gave the home team a 3-0 lead. Things were going swimmingly. Coquitlam stopped the 3-goal run with a power play goal off the stick of Cody Reed at 5:57 but Victoria answered right back with a shorthanded marker at 7:22 when Wade powered a shot to the back of the net. Jordan Green restored the 4 goal Victoria lead at 9:30 but at 11:31 Coquitam’s Cam Bateman finished off a quick passing play to narrow the gap to 3. The home team got themselves into a bit of penalty trouble with a double minor and another minor that overlapped, allowing the visitors to come back with a pair of play goals just 31 seconds apart. At 15:27, with a 5-on-3 advantage Bateman picked up his second with a quick stick right in front; Griffin Sim followed up with another power play goal at 15:58 with a hard shot from the dotted line. In the late going, Coquitlam took a couple of penalties and Matt Hamilton made them pay with a power play goal at 18:45, picking up a rebound and firing a low slider past Gallant. Shots on goal were pretty even, Victoria holding just a slight 16-14 lead and up on the scoreboard by a pair.

Cole Pickup put the Rocks up by 3 when he got in close at 4:32. This time they were unable to get any real momentum going and Coquitlam replied at 10:01, Jared Pozzobon scoring off the back of Birley from behind the goal line. A couple of late goals by the Shamrocks put some space between the teams as Leies picked up his second, grabbing a quick pass at the side of the crease and scoring at 17:22. Exactly 2 minutes later, McLean Chicquen scored from right in front to give the home team the 9-5 lead after 40 minutes.

In the third period it looked like maybe the lack of actual game action was having an effect on the Shamrocks as they were not really sharp. Coquitlam scored first, Josh Kemp finding twine at 2:31 with a high hard shot. Ryan Taylor replied for Victoria on a breakaway, going coast to coast to tally unassisted at 4:38. Once again it was the visitors responding, Mikey Vukovic, doing the damage at 7:35. Pickup restored the 4-goal Victoria lead at 9:49, finishing off some great passing to make it 11-7. The Adanacs continued to battle and came up with a pair of late goals, both from Jordan Magnuson, the first on a high hard shot with his team playing shorthanded at 13:51 and the final goal of the game with just 22 ticks left on the clock to get within a pair before running out of time.