Trish Fougner – foggygirlconsulting
June 24, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – Diane Cummins, Olympian and Victoria fan- favourite will be competing in the 25th Annual Victoria International Track Classic on July 5th at UVic’s Centennial Stadium.
Cummins, who won the bronze medal in the 800 meters this past weekend at the Canadian Track and Field Championships in Moncton, New Brunswick will use the Victoria event to qualify for this summer’s World Championships in Moscow, Russia, August 10-18. The two other medalists in the 800-meter final, Melissa Bishop (gold) and Karine Belleau-Beliveau (silver) will also be pushing the pace. Bishop has already qualified by achieving the minimum “B” standard for the event while the other medalists have until July 29th to qualify.
“Everyone knows that Victoria’s track is fast and its one of my final chances to qualify for World Championships this summer,” said Cummins. “The women’s 800 at the Track Classic will be a showdown of the top three from this past weekend’s nationals. I can’t wait to run in front of my former hometown and feel that electric energy from the fans once again.”
UVic’s Centennial Stadium has hosted many top international 800-meter races over the years. It is home to the national championship record set by Cummins in 2004 in a time of 1:59.46, just shy of her Canadian record set in 2001 of 1:58.39. At age 39, Cummins is proving that age is just a number and continues to push her younger competitors in the process.
“Having Diane at this meet is always a treat for us. She’s definitely a favourite of the fans,” said Keith Butler, Race Director for this year’s Track Classic. “The women’s 800 meter final will be a definite highlight for the night but we are also seeing some great rivalry happening in the men’s shot put featuring Olympian Dylan Armstrong and of course in the women’s 100 meter hurdles we have Olympians Angela Whyte and Jessica Zelinka.”
This year’s Track Classic is the finale for the National Track League Series, a series of five track and field events across Canada, where athletes compete for points based on their performances on all five competitions. $100,000 in prize money is on the line in Victoria for the athletes competing in the finale of the Series.
A total of 23 medalists from the Canadian Track and Field Championships will be competing at this year’s Victoria International Track Classic with ten of those being newly crowned champions including Angela Whyte (100 meter hurdles) Geoff Harris (800 meters) and Nate Brannen (1500 meters).
A Facebook and Mobile Sweepstakes contest was launched to promote the Victoria Track Classic and engage the community. Prizes include Timex watches designed to commemorate the 25th anniversary, Vikes Platinum season passes, Victoria Highlander tickets and free family passes to the Track Classic. To access the contest visit the Facebook page at 2013 Victoria International Track Classic.
Tickets for the Victoria International Track Classic are available through Victoria’s Running Room stores or on-line at www.trackclassic.ca.
Victoria International Track Classic 2013
23 Canadian Championship medalists and ten National Champions will compete July 5th at UVic’s Centennial Stadium including several Olympians and World Championship competitors. The following is a list of those athletes:
1. Melissa Bishop, 800 meters – 2013 National Champion, Olympian *
2. Angela Whyte, 100 meter hurdles – 2013 National Champion, Olympian *
3. Jessica Zelinka, 100 meter hurdles – Silver Medalist Nationals, Olympian *
4. Dylan Armstrong, Shot Put – Silver Medalist Nationals, Olympian *
5. Mike Mason, High Jump – Silver Medalist Nationals, Olympian *
6. Justin Rodhe, Shot Put – Bronze Medalist Nationals *
7. Geoff Harris, 800 meters – 2013 National Champion, Olympian
8. Diane Cummins, 800 meters – Bronze Medalist Nationals, Olympian
9. Matt Hughes, 3000 meters steeplechase – 2013 National Champion
10. Nate Brannen, 1500 meters – 2013 National Champion, Olympian
11. Crystal Emmanuel, 100 meters – 2013 National Champion
12. Philip Osei, 400 meters – 2013 National Champion
13. Krista Woodward, Javelin – 2013 National Champion
14. Heather Hamilton, Pole Vault – 2013 National Champion
15. James Steacy, Hammer Throw – 2013 National Champion
16. Michael Robertson, 400 meters – Bronze Medalist Nationals
17. Curtis Moss, Javelin – Silver Medalist Nationals
18. Caleb Jones, Javelin – Bronze Medalist Nationals
19. Gabriella Duclos-Lasnier, Pole Vault – Silver Medalist Nationals
20. Heather Steacy, Hammer Throw – Silver Medalist Nationals
21. Megan Rodhe, Hammer Throw – Bronze Medalist Nationals
22. Karine Belleau-Beliveaue, 800 meters – Silver Medalist Nationals
23. Crystal Emmanuel, 200 meters – Silver Medalist Nationals
* Indicates they have qualified for World Championship Team.