Rocks Split on Mainland

victoria shamrocks_JUNIOR

Written by Janice Huckin

June 23, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The Jr. Shamrocks wrapped up their overnight doubleheader Sunday as they took the floor at the Langley Events Center to take on the Thunder. Coming off a 17-16 overtime victory Saturday, the Rocks ended with a split as they lost 19-14.

Starting goaltenders were Cody Hagedorn for Victoria and Spencer England for Langley. It was the Thunder scoring first, James Rahe getting in close at 1:38. The Rocks came back with a 3-goal run as Chris Wardle finished off a great passing play at 5:57 to tie things up. A rare shorthanded marker from Conrad Chapman put the Shamrocks ahead at 7:50 and Wardle gave the visitors a 2-goal lead at 10:02 with a bouncer after a successful penalty kill. Brett Dobray got one back for Langley at 12:28, going to the front of the net. Unfortunately the Shamrocks continued a parade to the penalty box, including two double minor checking-from-behind penalties and that afforded the Thunder an opportunity to capitalize on the power play. And they did just that, scoring 4 power play goals in a little over 2 minutes. Sean Lundstrom got things going at 13:21 with a hard shot from the dotted line. Brandon Bull followed up at 13:54, shooting from the dotted line after some good ball movement and Rahe collected his second of the game unassisted at 15:30, picking up a rebound and scoring from the corner of the crease. Nick Stone rounded things out just 10 seconds later, getting in close to make it 6-3 for the home team. Victoria managed to get one back before the period ended, Jesse King getting a power play goal at 18:28 with a hard shot from well out. Shots on goal were heavily in Langley’s favour, 27-12 and they were ahead 6-4 on the scoreboard. Hagedorn might well have had a case to sue for non-support and it didn’t get any better as the game progressed.

The second period saw more momentum swings than a roller coaster. The Shamrocks scored first, in fact before fans were even back in their seats, going right to the front of the net off the opening faceoff to score 15 seconds in. Langley replied with another 3-goal run, the first coming from Bull on the power play from outside the dotted line. Stone picked up his second at 1:13, followed by Bull again at 1:18 and Stone yet again at 2:04, Victoria’s defense running around and looking confused. A power play goal from the Shamrocks’ Wardle, his third of the game, halted Langley’s momentum and started a 3-goal run for Victoria as he finished a play from the side of the crease at 3:27. At 5:55 Pesek picked up his second goal of the game, powering to the net. Another Victoria goal with the man advantage came from the stick of Dane Schoor at 8:20 from his “office” at the side of the crease. If you can get him the ball there, he’ll put it in the back of the net 9 times out of 10. That got the Shamrocks back within a pair at 10-8 but Langley wasn’t done yet. They rounded out the second period scoring with a pair of goals, the first from Rahe – yes, on the power play – at 12:17 and another from Bull at 17:35. After two periods the Thunder had a 12-8 lead and continued to widen the gap in shots on goal to 48-26. Talk about your shooting gallery.

Nothing much changed in period 3. Langley got on another early 3-goal run, Bull scoring twice and Rahe once between 4:12 and 5:33, the latter two coming shorthanded. The thought occurred that Victoria might want to decline further Langley penalties if that was how things were going to work out. In any event, the Shamrocks made a goaltending change and Charles Claxton made his way to the crease to finish the game. The change did seem to inspire the Rocks somewhat as they came back with a pair of power play goals. Schoor picked up his second at 6:13 and Eastwood connected off the ensuing faceoff, getting in all alone. Special teams continued to play a huge role as the Thunder added another shorthanded goal at 7:45 from Dobray and a power play marker at 9:16 from Lundstrom to open up a 17-10 lead. The teams exchanged goals but Victoria was unable to muster any great threat. They did score the final two goals of the contest but too little, too late.

To put things in perspective, Langley scored 8 power play goals and 3 shorthanded markers while Victoria had 7 with the man advantage and 2 shorthanded. Langley had 16 minutes in penalties while the Shamrocks took 26 minutes, 14 in the first period. Final shots on goal were 61-40 in Langley’s favour.

There’s no doubt that the Shamrocks can score goals and, hey, it’s a lot of fun scoring goals, isn’t it? Now, they have to figure out how to stop the other team as they have allowed 52 goals in their last 3 games. Offensively for the Shamrocks Brody Eastwood had 4 goals and 4 assists, Jesse King had 2 goals and 6 assists, Devon Casey had 7 assists. Chris Wardle picked up a hat trick and 1 helper while Dane Schoor and Dominik Pesek each had a pair with Pesek adding an assist. Conrad Chapman had the other Victoria tally.

All Langley’s goals came from the sticks of 5 people – Brandon Bull (6 g, 3 a), James Rahe (5 & 5), Sean Lundstrom (2 g, 5 a), Brett Dobray (3 & 3) and Nick Stone (3 goals).

The result moves Langley two points ahead of Victoria into second place, although the teams come together one more time. Langley, with this victory haves won the season series, having taken the first 2 games. The Shamrocks do hold a game in hand.

Langley pays the return visit to Bear Mountain Arena next Saturday in a 5:00 pm start.