HarbourCats continue Slide

HarbourCats HeadOnly

Story by HarbourCats Media / Photographs by Glenn Ivens (ISN)

July 5, 2013 Victoria, BC – For the majority of Friday’s game against Kelowna, it seemed like the same old story once again. After a 5 run top of the 7th, the HarbourCats found themselves trailing 8-1 and surely on their way to another loss. However, the ‘Cats battled back before falling 8-7 to the Falcons in the opening game of the 3 game series.

 MG 3776

The HarbourCats gave newcomer Tanner Kiest the start in Friday night’s WCL game against the Kelowna Falcons. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)


Alex Real had to battle a the sun as well as the Kelowna Falcons during Friday night’s WCL game at Royal Athletic Park in Victoria. (photo by Glenn ivens – ISN)

The crowd of 1,591 saw former major leaguer and Oak Bay Marine Group manager Steve Sinclair deliver a perfect first pitch strike. Victoria’s newest addition to the squad, Tanner Kiest, didn’t have as many strikes in the cannon, letting 2 runs (1 earned) across in the 1st to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead. It was the 4th game in a row that saw Victoria allow first inning scoring to their opponent. A Reed Lavallee home run to lead off the 2nd seemed like it would be the beginning of the end for Victoria, but Kiest settled in nicely for a long while afterwards.


Kelowna’s Preston Gray had a good outing on the hill allowing just 2 earned runs in 7 2/3 innings of work. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)


Falcon’s short stop Nathan Robertson helped out his team with a throw to 1st base for the out during Friday night’s WCL clash against the Victoria HarbourCats at Royal Athletic Park. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)

Victoria’s offense picked up 1 unearned run in the 3rd, but Kelowna starter Preston Gray had them under control most of the night. At one point in the middle of the game, Gray retired 12 straight Victoria hitters.


Grayson Porter got things started for the Kelowna Falcons in the 7th inning launching an RBI double to put the Falcons up 4-1. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)


Nanaimo product Cody Andreychuck increased the Kelowna lead to 6-1 with a 2 run single in the 7th inning. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)


Victoria’s David Schuknecht gets set for the throw home during Friday nights WCL game against the Kelowna Falcons. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)

His offense gave him a big boost in the 7th, cashing in on Dylan Lavelle’s inability to catch a ball in foul territory just 3 pitches into the inning. The Falcons sent 10 men to the plate, with 5 coming around to score, blowing the game open at 8-1.

But Victoria was determined to go out on a high note. The HarbourCats picked up 2 runs in the bottom of the 8th, making the bottom of the 9th a lot more manageable. The HarbourCats got the first 4 runners aboard, bringing the game to within 8-6. After back to back strikeouts, Alex Real delivered a 2-run double to bring it to within 1, but Robby Nesovic grounded out to leave the HarbourCats 1 step short of completing the comeback.


HarbourCats Alex DeGoti awaits the throw to get the force out at 2nd during WCL action at Victoria’s Royal Athletic Park. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)


Kelowna Falcon’s Joe Robbins fields ground ball in Friday night’s 8-7 win over the Victoria HarbourCats at Victoria’s Royal Athletic Park. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)


Alex Real (14) and the HarbourCats keep Kelowna’s Cody Andreychuck (4) in check during WCL tilt in Victoria on Friday night. (photo by Glenn Ivens – ISN)

“That definitely stings. I thought we had a chance there and just couldn’t get it done,” said Real.

Despite the loss, the offensive showcase in the final 2 innings should serve as a hopeful sign of Victoria’s ability to break out of their offensive struggles starting tomorrow.

“I think tonight will help us for tomorrow. Our bats were starting to get hot at the end. We were starting to see pitches better and lay off bad pitches,” said Real.