Match Recap – FC Edmonton vs San Antonio Scorpions


FC Edmonton Media

August 12, 2013, Edmonton AB (ISN) – With FC Edmonton fans looking forward to their first chance to see the Eddies since June, FC Edmonton looked to come out with some attacking force against the San Antonio Scorpions.

10 minutes into the match, newcomer FC Edmonton striker Anthony Adur took control of the ball down the near side to force a turn over from San Antonio defender Luka Vucko. Adur’s ball was crossed into the box and found fellow FC Edmonton forward Corey Hertzog unmarked. Hertzog’s final shot went well over the cross bar.

On the counter attack, San Antonio were able to rush the FC Edmonton defense and force ‘keeper Lance Parker to come off his line. The ball was passed back, leaving an empty net for the Scorpions to tap in, but the Eddies defense covered well and Parker was able to get back and make the save keeping the game 0-0.

It took 15 minutes for Hertzog to find the back of the net on his debut with the Eddies. FCE midfielder Chris Nurse made the initial challenge that turned the ball over to FC Edmonton on the edge of the visitors area. Neil Hlavaty picked up the pass and slid it across to a waiting Hertzog who tucked it neatly passed Scorpions ‘keeper Pat Hannigan. 1-0 for the Eddies.

At half-time, FC Edmonton held onto the 1-0 lead against the San Antonio Scorpions.

The Eddies restarted the game with another promising ball from Adur over the top of the Scorpions backline. This time, FCE midfielder Shaun Saiko was there to receive the ball over his shoulder and send in a volley that was only saved by the near post.

In the 64th minute, league leading goal scorer and Scorpions striker Hans Denissen headed the ball to bounce just in front of Parker in the Eddies net. The FCE ‘keeper had to stretch to his full 6’4″ height to make the save. Not long after in the 67th minute, San Antonio had another great opportunity off a free kick to bring the game even, but the final shot rang off the woodwork.

FC Edmonton earned their second great chance of the half in the 76th minute when the Eddies new addition to the game, Massimo Mirabelli, took on his man and threaded a ball through to a waiting Hertzog, but the strikers final shot was just wide of the near post.

San Antonio attempted to get back into the game, but it was the Eddies that held on for the 1-0 win at home – the first three points of the fall season.

“I had absolute faith that our new additions to the squad would get the job done,” said Eddies head coach Colin Miller. “Corey scored a great goal and Anthony found the right places to be on the pitch. This win should get everyone excited for next Sunday’s match versus Atlanta.”

FC Edmonton take on the Atlanta Silverbacks in Edmonton on Sunday August 18 for a 2pm MT KO at Clarke Stadium.

Full Time Stats: