Spartans Play To Draw With Western Washington

trinity western_spartans1

Mark Janzen

August 24, 2013, LANGLEY, BC (ISN) – The Trinity Western men’s soccer team and Western Washington played to a 1-1 draw Saturday afternoon at Rogers Field in what was the Spartans first home exhibition game of the 2013 campaign.

The Spartans Dominic Reinold (Wesseling, Germany) opened the scoring in the 47th minute from the penalty spot, but it was just 11 minutes later that the Vikings Kurtis Pederson tied the contest on a chip shot from just inside the area to secure a 1-1 tie.

Trinity Western is no 1-0-2 in the preseason while WWU is 0-0-1.

The Spartans are back in action Aug. 27 when they host Seattle Pacific at 2 p.m. at Rogers Field. The Vikings are back in the Lower Mainland Aug. 27 when they will play Fraser Valley at 6 p.m.

“I think this was a typical post-trip let down and we lacked a bit of energy and enthusiasm out there,” said Spartans coach Pat Rohla. “I still think we created enough opportunities to win the game, but a couple of injuries out of the lineup did make a difference.

“Overall we’re seeing some good things from some of our younger players, but we still need more from a lot of our guys. I think we need a bit more of an appetite to put teams out of their misery when we know that we have them. We’re pleased, but not satisfied.”

In a first half that produced very few chances for either side, the Vikings best opportunity came in the 24th minute when they got a crack from in close off a corner, but a diving Spartans defender blocked the attempt. Western Washington’s Leonard Kusina pounced on the rebound but his effort from 20 yards out sailed wide left.

The nearest chance of the opening half for TWU came in stoppage time when Jarvis Ambaka (Maragoli, Kenya) whipped a shot on net from inside 12 yards, but the ball just scraped over the bar.

The Vikings outshot the Spartans 7-6 over the first 45 minutes but only forced TWU goalie Andrew Hicks (Surrey, B.C.) into making one save. At the opposite end of the field, WWU keeper Leo Cohen made two saves.

Early in the second half, TWU broke the deadlock when Reinold converted his penalty opportunity with a swift rip low and down the middle to give the home side a 1-0 lead.

However the Vikings responded with a goal in the 58th minute that knotted the contest 1-1. Pederson took a low cross from the left side and chipped it just over a charging Hicks.

The visitors nearly took the lead just two minutes later, but Tye Hastings shot from atop the area thumped the right post.

The Spartans best chance for a winner came off the boot of Jordan Whitehead who, in the 73rd minute, cracked a shot from just outside the box, but was stymied by the crossbar.

Game Notes: The shots were 13-13…WWU’s Bailey Martin and Jeremy Wentzel were each shown yellow while TWU’s Ambaka and Jonah Reinhart (Langley) also saw yellow.