August 29, 2013, Saskatoon, SK (ISN) – For the first time since 2005, the University of Saskatchewan Huskies and University of Regina Rams will meet to open the Canada West season.
Kickoff is 7:09 p.m. on Friday night. The game will be available live on CK750 or www.ck750.com. It can also be viewed on Shaw Cable or www.canadawest.tv.
• Saskatchewan (No. 9) is one of three Canada West teams to hold a spot in the CIS Top 10. Calgary (No. 3) and Manitoba (No. 10) join the Huskies in the national rankings.
• The Huskies will look to beat the Rams for the first time since 2011. In 2012, the Rams won 35-26 in a regular season contest in Saskatoon and 31-9 in the Canada West semifinal in Regina.
• The Huskies have not lost a Canada West season opening game since 2002 and have lost just three since 1994.
• At Friday’s game, the Huskies will Support Our Troops for the fourth straight season. The pregame ceremony will include a colour guard, a moment of silence, a flyover, a ceremonial coin toss and kickoff. The Huskies’ traditional pregame flag plant and raising will honour the contributions of our Canadian Forces. Dignitaries include Saskatchewan Premier Brad Wall, Colonel Paul Goddard and former University Chancellor Vera Pezer. Postgame fans are treated to special fireworks dedicated to the Canadian Forces.
• A tailgate party for fans and supports, as well as military personnel and their families, will be hosted by the Saskatoon Chamber of Commerce on Field 2, just west of the Griffiths Stadium in PotashCorp Park entrance. Proceeds of the event will go toward the Soldier On Fund. Local band Wyatt will perform on the Conexus Community Stage.
Since 2001, the Huskies are 17-6 against the Rams in conference action, but Regina has taken the last two contests between the rivals. Saskatchewan’s last win against the Rams was a 16-15 victory on October 22, 2011 in Regina.
UNIVERSITY OF REGINA RAMS (0-0)
Next Week: vs Calgary Dinos
The Rams enter the 2013 Canada West season after a thrilling come from behind win over the Manitoba Bisons in a non-conference game.
Regina’s depth chart will look much different in 2013 with the graduation of 20 fifth-year players.
University of Hawaii transfer Cayman Shutter is expected to get the start under centre for the Rams, after the graduation of five-year starter Marc Mueller. Shutter went 8-for-12 for 93 yards and a touchdown in his Rams debut against Manitoba.
Jared Janotta, Kolten Solomon and Mark McConkey will be the main targets for Shutter. The 2012 conference all-star has 95 career receptions for 1222 yards in three years with the team. Janotta will provide experience to a youthful
The strong Regina secondary of 2012 will be almost completely revamped this season. Justin Edralin is the only returning starter in the Rams defensive backfield.
No. 9 UNIVERSITY OF SASKATCHEWAN HUSKIES (0-0)
Next Week: at Manitoba Bisons
Both sides of the ball put forth strong performances for Saskatchewan in last Friday’s 28-5 non-conference win over UBC.
Quarterback Drew Burko and the offense worked out any off-season rust in the non-conference affair. Burko finished the game 9-for-14 with 167 yards and a touchdown. Rookie receiver Mitch Hillis turned heads in his first game for Saskatchewan. The 6-0 receiver hauled in seven passes for 131 yards and a touchdown.
Defensively, Michael Desjarlais led the way for the green and white. The linebacker turned defensive end recorded a team high 5.5 tackles. Corey Edington added another 4.5 for the Huskies, while Dane Bishop tallied two sacks.
FROM THE COACH
View comments from head coach Brian Towriss at: