September 3, 2013, Hempstead, NY – Following a three-day tryout that saw 94 of America’s premier professional and collegiate players travel to Baltimore, Hofstra Associate Men’s Lacrosse Coach Kevin Unterstein is among the 52 players who have been named to the U.S. Men’s National Team training roster.
Unterstein and the other 51 players will train with Team USA at a series of fall and winter events, culminating with Champion Challenge, a US Lacrosse event, where players will vie for 23 spots on the final world championships roster. The annual event will once again be hosted Jan. 24-26 at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.
Unterstein, who has played professionally in Major League Lacrosse, playing for the Long Island/New York Lizards in 2009, 2012 and 2013, and the Denver Outlaws in 2010 and 2011. is entering his fourth season on the Pride staff in 2013-14. During his coaching tenure at Hofstra, he has worked with the defense, the face-off specialists and the man-down unit. In 2011, the Pride led the nation in scoring defense (6.56 gpga) and ranked sixth in face-off winning percentage (.622) and turnover average (13.69). Hofstra was also sixth in man-down percentage (.760) in 2012. Last season, the Pride ranked first in turnovers per game (11.36), third in scoring defense (7.79 gpga) and 28th in man-down defense (.667).
A 2008 graduate of Hofstra with a degree in sociology, Unterstein enjoyed a stellar playing career as a short-stick defensive midfielder from 2005 through 2008. As a senior he recorded a team-leading 70 ground balls while helping to guide the Pride to the Colonial Athletic Association title and the NCAA Tournament. For his efforts, he was an All-CAA first team selection, and was named the CAA Defensive Player of the Year, and the CAA Championship Tournament Most Valuable Player.
In 2007 as a junior, Unterstein earned USILA All-American honorable mention honors, and was named to the All-CAA second team as well as the All-CAA Tournament team. As a sophomore in 2006, Kevin, his twin brother Mike, and their older brother Chris combined to help lead Hofstra to a 17-2 record, a No. 2 national ranking and a No. 3 seed in the NCAA tournament. He was also named to the All-CAA Rookie Team as a freshman.
Following graduation in 2008, he became an assistant under Bill Tierney at Princeton in 2009, working with the defense and face-off specialists. He would follow Tierney to Denver in 2010 to help coordinate the Pioneers’ man-down unit and work specifically with the defensive midfielders and work with assistant coach Trevor Tierney with the defense and the overall face-off game.
The reigning world champion U.S. Men’s National Team will compete for a record 10th world title at the 2014 Federation of International Lacrosse (FIL) World Championships, hosted by US Lacrosse on July 10-19, 2014, in Denver, Colo.
The 52-player roster by position with professional teams, collegiate alma maters, and previous U.S. team experience noted:
- Matt Danowski, Charlotte Hounds, Duke
- Marcus Holman, Ohio Machine, North Carolina
- Eric Law, Denver Outlaws, Denver
- Kevin Leveille, Rochester Rattlers, Massachusetts
- Brendan Mundorf, Denver Outlaws/Philadelphia Wings, UMBC *
- Rob Pannell, New York Lizards, Cornell
- Steele Stanwick, Ohio Machine, Virginia
- Garrett Thul, Hamilton Nationals, Army
- Drew Westervelt, Chesapeake Bayhawks/Philadelphia Wings, UMBC *
- Ryan Young, Charlotte Hounds, Maryland
- Steven Brooks, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Syracuse
- Kevin Buchanan, Boston Cannons, Ohio State
- Ned Crotty, Rochester Rattlers/Philadelphia Wings, Duke *
- Kyle Harrison, LXM PRO, Johns Hopkins
- Ben Hunt, Chesapeake Bayhawks, North Carolina
- David Lawson, Rochester Rattlers, Duke
- JoJo Marasco, New York Lizards, Syracuse
- Matt Mackrides, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Penn State
- Paul Rabil, Boston Cannons/Philadelphia Wings, Johns Hopkins *
- Max Seibald, New York Lizards/Philadelphia Wings, Cornell *
- Jeremy Sieverts, Denver Outlaws, Maryland
- Drew Snider, Denver Outlaws/Washington Stealth, Maryland
- Matt Striebel, Rochester Rattlers, Princeton *^+
- Mitch Belisle, Boston Cannons/Minnesota Swarm, Cornell
- Jesse Bernhardt, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Maryland
- Brendan Buckley, Boston Cannons, Army
- Tucker Durkin, Hamilton Nationals, Johns Hopkins
- Michael Evans, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Johns Hopkins
- Joe Fletcher, Loyola %
- Brian Karalunas, New York Lizards, Villanova
- Dillon Roy, Denver Outlaws, Denver
- Brett Schmidt, Charlotte Hounds, Maryland
- Lee Zink, Denver Outlaws, Maryland
- Brian Farrell, Boston Cannons, Maryland
- Kyle Hartzell, Ohio Machine/Philadelphia Wings, Salisbury
- Kyle Sweeney, Boston Cannons/Philadelphia Wings, Georgetown *
- Michael Simon, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Stevenson
- Short-stick defensive midfield
- Matt Abbott, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Syracuse
- Dan Burns, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Maryland
- Kevin Drew, Charlotte Hounds, Syracuse
- Stephen Peyser, New York Lizards, Johns Hopkins *
- Jeff Reynolds, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Maryland
- Chris Schiller, Charlotte Hounds, Penn State *
- Kevin Unterstein, New York Lizards, Hofstra
- Drew Adams, New York Lizards, Penn State
- John Galloway, Rochester Rattlers, Syracuse
- Jesse Schwartzman, Denver Outlaws, Johns Hopkins
- Kip Turner, Chesapeake Bayhawks, Virginia
- Chris Eck, Boston Cannons, Colgate
- Greg Gurenlian, New York Lizards, Penn State
- Anthony Kelly, Denver Outlaws, Ohio State
- Mike Poppleton, Hamilton Nationals, Johns Hopkins
* 2010 U.S. men’s national team member
^ 2006 U.S. men’s national team member
+ 2002 U.S. men’s national team member
% Current college player
The roster was increased from 46 to 52 players to account for injuries.
U.S. Men’s National Team Fall/Winter 2013-14 Event Schedule
- Oct. 4-6 – Play for Parkinson’s (Alexandria, Va.)
- Jan. 10-12 – US Lacrosse Convention (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Jan. 24-26 – Champion Challenge (Lake Buena Vista, Fla.)
The team will also gather for two training weekends, with one in October and one in December.
For more information on the U.S. men’s national team, visit www.uslacrosse.org/usmen. Follow the team on Facebook at fb.com/uslacrosse, on Twitter and Instagram at @uslacrosse and use #USAMLAX.
The World Champion U.S. Men’s National Teams train and play using best-in-class products provided by Nike (apparel and footwear), STX (equipment), Cascade (helmets) and Shock Doctor (mouth guards). Nationwide and Marriott International are official sponsors of Team USA.
About US Lacrosse
US Lacrosse, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation, is the national governing body of men’s and women’s lacrosse and the home of the nation’s fastest-growing sport. US Lacrosse has more than 415,000 members in 64 regional chapters across the country. Through responsive and effective leadership, US Lacrosse provides programs and services to inspire participation while protecting the integrity of the sport. Bookmark, like and follow US Lacrosse at uslacrosse.org, fb.com/uslacrosse and @uslacrosse, respectively.