South Island Royals Outdueled By Canadians


Bryden Burrell

September 22, 2013, Victoria, BC (ISN) – The South Island Royals welcomed the Greater Vancouver Canadians to the Oak Bay Recreation Centre on Sunday morning to play the second game of a weekend doubleheader. The Royals went with Markus Daly in goal, while the Canadians countered with Tyler Shugrue.

A physical tone was set in the early stages of the opening frame as both teams looked to gain the edge. This was highlighted by a solid body check by South Island forward Ethan Waitzner on Greater Vancouver defender Phoenix Worth behind the Canadians’ net. Greater Vancouver were rewarded a powerplay opportunity halfway through the period, but it would be the Royals who collected the game’s first goal shorthanded. Off the right wing, Duncan Cochrane threw a puck on net that Shugrue got a pad on, but Andrew Jack was on the doorstep to bury the puck into the empty cage. Jack’s goal would hold up as the lone marker of the period as South Island headed into the first intermission up 1-0.

The middle frame saw a barrage of goals from both teams in which a total of eight markers would go up on the scoreboard. Greater Vancouver would tie the game and then take their first lead only minutes into the second frame off similar goals from Jordan Deymenjian and Dante Hannoun, which saw both players beat Daly short side to the blocker. The Canadians then grabbed additional tallies from Deymenjian and Nathan McCarman to stake themselves out to a 4-1 lead five minutes in. Chris Smith would replace Daly in the Royals’ crease after the fourth goal. Haydn Hopkins netted the South Island’s second shorthanded marker of the game at the 10-minute mark of the frame when he converted a pass from Cochrane past Shugrue. Greater Vancouver netted two more times courtesy of Gunnar Wegleitner and Blake Hayward, split by another Royals marker from Cochrane to end of the flurry of goals. After 40 minutes of play, the Canadians found themselves leading 6-3.

The scoring subsided for the opening half of the final frame before Nick Guiney pulled the Royals to within two with eight minutes remaining. On a five-on-three man advantage, Guiney corralled the puck in the right circle before he blasted a slapshot over the left shoulder of Shugrue. Jacob Malloch would then pound home a loose puck in the Canadians’ crease with five minutes remaining to cut the Greater Vancouver lead to just one. With only three minutes on clock though, Ryan Wilkenson would restore the two goal lead for the Canadians as they would hold on for the win. Canadians 7 Royals 5

South Island will now travel to the mainland next weekend to take on the Vancouver North West Giants for two games. The Royals next home series will come the following weekend when they welcome the Valley West Hawks. Game one is scheduled for Friday, October 4th at 5:30 p.m. while game two will take place on Saturday, October 5th at 11:15 a.m. Both games will take place at the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.

Scott Harrigan
Your #1 source for community and amateur sports related news on Vancouver Island, British Columbia and beyond! Send stories to