September 27, 2013, Vancouver, BC – The British Columbia Hockey League and Five Hole for Food are teaming up to score big for food banks around the province. The BCHL-Five Hole for Food Challenge encourages fans around the league to best their rival communities by donating the most food on their event nights, which will be held throughout the season.
First up are the Nanaimo Clippers, who will be collecting for their local food bank during their game Friday, Oct. 4 against the Cowichan Valley Capitals.
“Food banks and the families that rely on them are in need of donations at all times, not just the holidays,” said BCHL communications director Brent Mutis. “By capitalizing on the natural rivalries that exist between our teams, we hope to generate increasing donations as we proceed to make a real difference in each community.”
Five Hole for Food began its ongoing campaign in 2010 and has gone across Canada every summer since, holding street hockey tournaments and raising food donations.
“Five Hole for Food aims to bring a love for hockey together with action in the community at a grassroots level,” said CEO and founder Richard Loat. “Partnering with the BCHL on a league-wide campaign stays true to our goal of taking a national passion and making sure the impact is made on the local communities of those supporting the food banks through hockey.”
The dates for each team’s Food Drive Challenge night are as follows:
- • Nanaimo Clippers – Friday, Oct. 4
- • Langley Rivermen – Saturday, Oct. 19
- • Coquitlam Express – Friday, Nov. 1
- • West Kelowna Warriors – Friday, Nov. 15
- • Trail Smoke Eaters – Saturday, Nov. 16
- • Victoria Grizzlies – Saturday, Nov. 30
- • Powell River Kings – Friday, Dec. 6
- • Salmon Arm SilverBacks – Saturday, Dec. 7
- • Alberni Valley Bulldogs – Saturday, Dec. 14
- • Chilliwack Chiefs – Sunday, Dec. 29
- • Vernon Vipers – Friday, Jan. 10, 2014
- • Surrey Eagles – Friday, Jan. 31
- • Penticton Vees – Friday, Feb. 7
- • Cowichan Valley Capitals – Friday, Feb. 21