trinity western_spartans1

September 29, 2013, LANGLEY, British Columbia – After opening the scoring midway through the first half, the Trinity Western men’s soccer team (1-6-1) gave up three unanswered goals to Saskatchewan (5-3) as it fell 3-1 to the visiting Huskies Saturday at Rogers Field.


The Spartans Jarvis Ambaka (Maragoli, Kenya) got TWU on the board first with a strike in the 29th minute, but goals from Saskatchewan’s Luigi Bekwayo, Mitch Bauche and Brett Levis proved to be the difference.

The win is Saskatchewan’s first at Rogers Field since a 2-1 victory in 2006. The win, coupled with Alberta’s loss to UBC Saturday, moved the Huskies into first place in the Prairie Division.

Both teams collected 12 total shots, but it was Saskatchewan with an 8-5 edge in shots on target.

Trinity Western goalie Andrew Hicks (Surrey, B.C.) made five saves while Saskatchewan’s Michal Bandula stopped four of the five shots directed his way.

“In a close game there are some critical moment plays that you have to capture and if you don’t, the game gets away from you,” said Spartans coach Pat Rohla. “When a team is struggling, you are at times in two minds and you saw it all over the field. Should I pass or should I shoot? It is the indecisiveness that is killing us.

“Some of it is just courage. It is raw and being willing to win those second balls and good things happen from there. It is not a question of guys not wanting it. We really are out of sync. With injures, every week we have fielded a new team.”

The Spartans got off to a quick start and, thanks in large part to the speed of Ambaka, looked dangerous early on. With Ambaka essentially running head-to-head against Saskatchewan’s Fabian Dale, the two raced up and down the sidelines for much of the first half hour.

After some miscues in the Huskies box resulted in unfinished chances, Ambaka finally broke through in the 29th minute as he cut to the middle of the left wing and whipped a quick shot past Huskies goalie Bandula.

However, within eight minutes, Saskatchewan responded with a pair of goals in less than five minutes to take a 2-1 advantage.

Bekwayo potted the Huskies first in the 33rd minute and then, in the 38th minute, it was Bauche giving the visitors their first lead of the night.

Bekwayo raced up the left side and placed a shot into the top right corner, past TWU goalie Hicks. Bauche then scored what proved to be the winning goal when he carried the ball through the middle of the park and blasted it past Hicks.

In the second half Saskatchewan’s Brett Levis notched his fifth goal of the season in the 67th minute as he caught Hicks out of his net and chipped the Spartans goalie for an insurance marker.

The Spartans are back in action Oct. 11-12 when they host Mount Royal Friday and Winnipeg Saturday. Saskatchewan will return home to play Alberta Oct. 5-6.

GAME NOTES: TWU’s Jerome Lou (Surrey, B.C.) and Sam Delfs (Edmonton) each were given yellow cards…the Spartans had a 6-3 edge in corner kicks.