By: James Nielsen, Vikes Communications
VICTORIA – The University of Victoria Vikes golf teams entered Tuesday’s final round looking to capture first place finishes on both men and women’s side. At the end of the day, the women’s team did just that, capturing first overall while the men held strong to round out the top-three teams at the 2013 Cavalier Invitational, located at Heron Lakes Golf Course in Portland, Oregon.
Tuesday saw the women’s team sitting comfortably atop the leaderboard with a staggering 31-stroke advantage over second-place Concordia. The Vikes would only concede two shots in the final round, finishing first overall with a plus-85, thirty strokes clear of second spot. Leading after two rounds of play heading into Tuesday, Cari Chow fell to second in individual standings, posting a tournament score of plus-15, one back of Concordia’s Sunshine Powers. Chow was joined by teammates Brynn Tomie in third at plus-17 and Emily Nicol at fourth with plus-20 to round out the top-five.
The men’s side held strong to maintain a third-place finish. Vike Bruce Tomie was the top-scoring Vike for the men, posting a minus-2 in the final round to finish tied for second with a tournament score of minus-5, seven back of first-place’s Tyler Falk. Vike Jesse Teron joined Tomie in the top-five with a final round score of minus-3, landing him in a tie for fourth with Warner Pacific’s John-Michael Pilot.
The Vikes will head to seperate tournaments next weekend, with the men’s team heading to Eureka, Montana to compete in the Western Canadian Men’s Championship Invitational, Oct. 4-6. The women will head to Washington, looking to repeat their recent success at the Saint Martin’s Invitational, Oct. 4-5.
Cavalier Invitational tournament results:
- 1 Victoria Women (321-305-323: 949 +85)
- 2 Cari Chow (77-73-71: 231 +15)
- 3 Brynn Tomie (78-79-76: 233 +17)
- 4 Emily Nicol (81-70-85: 236 +20)
- T-8 Michaela Abey (85-83-81: 249 +33)
- 16 Shannon Raina (85-94-88: 267 +51)
- T-3 Victoria Men (295-284-290: 869, +5)
- T-2 Bruce Tomie (72-69-70: 211 -5)
- T-4 Jesse Teron (70-73-69: 212 -4)
- 21 Alex Cartwright (77-73-74: 224 +8)
- 22 Jamie Cartwright (78-69-78: 225 +9)
- T-23 Sean Hay (76-73-77: 226 +10)